GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Job Search

Hybrid View

Default Job Search

I turned 16 a little over a month ago. I started looking for a job today and found a few I like. What was your first job?

Oh to be 16 again, or even close, my first "real" job was a summer job while going to school, repairing appliances for a local dept store. They let me work weekends when school restarted, it was a good job for a couple of years. My first full time job was with the local telephone company, equipment servicing.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

At 14 I started my first job as a chain monkey on Interstate 80 near Truckee CA. Since we only worked during storms I had a job during better weather splitting firewood. Traded those two jobs in at 16 for roofing and tilesetting. A year and a half later I joined the Military and never looked back.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

First job Working at a Nabisco plant about a mile from my house after school in the Tech Dept. at 15-16 Then at my friends Shop DSL in Paramus, NJ where we Started doing all of the Custom work and display building for Sony Mobile. We also bought Lojack from Mass to NJ then the rest of the US.. Lots of good installers came from that shop... The old days...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I worked at a dentist office from age 12 to 18. I had said over and over as a kid I wanted to be a dentist, so my local dentist (who also taught at the university) handed me 3 big books and told me to read them before my next visit. I did. When I returned, I brought them back ... and was asked if I had read them. I answered in the affirmative and the doctor, disbelieving, quizzed me. I was able to answer all of his questions ... in detail.

This surprised him -- so he had a chat with my parents, as he wanted to provide more exposure to a child who was clearly interested in the profession. Hence, my first job started out as just office cleaning work each day after school. By the tail end of it I was responsible for inventory control and occasionally assisted (i.e. handed instruments, ran suction, etc.) during procedures. There was a time I could name every instrument in the place and knew the proper use of each ... but that was so long ago I'd be lucky toget two right, today.

If the practice had not been sold (my old boss was retiring) to a guy who was really into the business aspect (i.e. less into the care aspect) I might have become a dentist. However, watching the practice change from a patient-first environment to one aimed at getting as many patients in and out the door in a given day -- to maximize profit -- just turned me off to the whole idea. Health care is supposed to be about care ... not profit. But it was a good lesson to learn early ... that health care IS about profit ... because businesses don't survive without it.

Got my first job at 16. I sold guns!

Nah, not quite. I worked as a sales associate in the Hunting/Fishing department at Academy Sports and Outdoors. I stayed on the floor as you had to be 18 to sell the fun stuff.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!