GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Job Search

I've always worked on my family farm as long as I can remember even if I wasn't help back in the day but at 16 I started fitting pipe for my dad and I still do it to this day. But now I'm college educated so one day I can take over for the old man
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    But now I'm college educated so one day I can take over for the old man
    The funny part about this is that your practical, hands-on education is probably superior to what you got in college in terms of utility -- primarily because it came with a work ethic that college flat-out can't provide or match.

While the sheep skin is necessary in today's world, I always tell people not to let school get in the way of their educations.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    The funny part about this is that your practical, hands-on education is probably superior to what you got in college in terms of utility -- primarily because it came with a work ethic that college flat-out can't provide or match.

While the sheep skin is necessary in today's world, I always tell people not to let school get in the way of their educations.
    Your totally right in order to run my dads company I have to be able to run a business and do all his engineering which he currently does. I learned to use autocad at school and go a Degree in business management. But I wouldnt know how to lay out the systems if I didn't learn how to do it in the field first. Schools these days don't teach our children much. I'm scared for education these next few years
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

The larger companies are looking for people with a sold education in the basics of the degree. The companies want to provide the specialized training to an employee with an open mind.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    The larger companies are looking for people with a sold education in the basics of the degree. The companies want to provide the specialized training to an employee with an open mind.
    That depends on the company and position level. The company I work for (which is a Fortune 150 company ... so it's large) looks for what you mentioned for entry level positions only. All other positions they seek out highly specialized employees. There are, of course, exceptions at my company and all others. Who you know is more relevant than what you know. 80% of people get jobs through people they know. So, even if you lack a degree, if someone walks your resume down the hall and renders it with a recommendation, it's more likely to show up close to the top of the stack.

my first job was working at Sherry's restaurant in Kirkland Washington. I was 15 or 16 and made probably something like five bucks an hour plus a part of the tips

- - - Updated - - -

hey, don't get off topic!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Sr. Apprentice

I worked as a carhop at a drive in restaurant. Pay was terrible but it beat being broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    my first job was working at Sherry's restaurant in Kirkland Washington. I was 15 or 16 and made probably something like five bucks an hour plus a part of the tips
    What's a Sherry's? i.e. What kind of food?

It is spelled "Shari's". Think of Denny's only this place bakes home made pies and muffins too. (they are very tasty). They are open 24/7 just like Denny's. I probably ate at that Shari's in Kirkland some time in my past.

Wow. I guess I go back a lot farther than most of you folks. My first job was at age 16 and it was in grocery (I worked 3 yrs in HS in grocery), it was Thriftway. I got paid a whopping $1.80 an hour. After raises during my two years there, I think I was up to $2.20 an hour by the time I went to Fred Meyer my senior year. I worked grocery because Retail Clerks paid more than the other jobs available to high schoolers.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

My first job was when I enlisted in the Army Reserves at 17. Once I got out of boot camp, my first civilian job was doing carpentry. One of the guys in my unit helped me get my foot in the door, and my quick learning ability got me going from there.

I grew up on a farm though, so I was always working since I was old enough to start doing chores.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast