GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Default 2008 Silverado LS want a locking differential

    I fish, hunt etc. My truck will be paid for in 12 months, and don't want to get back under a note. Im always in soft terrain and constantly stress about getting stuck. I wish I would have bought a z71, but I didnt. Im considering compensating with a locking differential and All terrain tires.

    Whats the recommended method and hardware?

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't know that there is a single recommended method or hardware to add a locker after the fact.

    Cheapest, especially if you can sell your current axle for about the same as a junkyard axle, is to buy an axle with the matching gear ratio and a locker (almost certainly a factory Eaton Gov-lock G80). The main limitation here is that you will almost certainly end up with the G80, which is not everyone's favorite (especially in the 10 bolt version).

    Cheapest aftermarket option is to put in a lunchbox locker (Powertrax lockright or Detroit EZ locker or similar). These replace the "spider" gears in your open diff with a locking mechanism. They are much cheaper than full carrier lockers, and are cheaper/easier to install (using the existing carrier, one does not need to go to the effort of setting up the gears and rebuilding the differential).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

  3. #3

    Default

    Im gonna recommend a little different traction method here.
    Have you ever thought of getting a winch? I think it would be more useful for what your doing.
    Not only can you get the truck unstuck but you also have a nice way to lift your game and hang it for dressing.
    The z71 package wouldnt have really helped a lot in this case I dont think. one issue Ive allways had with the g80 is it doesnt liked to stay locked and reverts back to an open axle quickly. Which is why I always use and recommend selectable lockers if your gonna add one. Yea more expensive but with the offtiad experiences ive had I believe worth the expense.
    Tire are an important part of the traction equation. But allterains arent all ways necessary. Next time you hit the trail try lowering your tire pressure to 20psi and see if that doesnt give you a fatter foot print with better traction.
    Dont forget to bring along a portable compressor to air back up or make sure you know where the closest air source is.

  4. #4
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    having a 4wd SILVERADO I found that with just the locking rear diff , the increased traction is not all that much of a help if you should get stuck. the locking diff does however keep the vehicle better under control when traction is lost /////being stuck is another issue.

    If you keep the truck I also agree that you should get a high powered winch.

    the other solution would be get a 4wd vehicle .

  5. #5

    Default

    I'm with @tbplus10 on this. A lift, appropriate tires, and a locking diff all help keep you from getting stuck. But once you're actually stuck ... a winch is king. And a winch does, indeed, have plenty of other uses.

  6. #6
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Cheapest, especially if you can sell your current axle for about the same as a junkyard axle, is to buy an axle with the matching gear ratio and a locker (almost certainly a factory Eaton Gov-lock G80). The main limitation here is that you will almost certainly end up with the G80, which is not everyone's favorite (especially in the 10 bolt version).

    My only heartburn with this idea is that you can potentially get an axle with a G80 that is completely worn out and is no better than an open differential...its a pretty big chance to take spending the $$ they ask for complete axles...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Im gonna recommend a little different traction method here.
    Have you ever thought of getting a winch? I think it would be more useful for what your doing.
    Not only can you get the truck unstuck but you also have a nice way to lift your game and hang it for dressing.
    The z71 package wouldnt have really helped a lot in this case I dont think. one issue Ive allways had with the g80 is it doesnt liked to stay locked and reverts back to an open axle quickly. Which is why I always use and recommend selectable lockers if your gonna add one. Yea more expensive but with the offtiad experiences ive had I believe worth the expense.
    Tire are an important part of the traction equation. But allterains arent all ways necessary. Next time you hit the trail try lowering your tire pressure to 20psi and see if that doesnt give you a fatter foot print with better traction.
    Dont forget to bring along a portable compressor to air back up or make sure you know where the closest air source is.
    One reason I had to get a winch on my silverado. I used the one on my dodge the most for lifting up deer and dressing them
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

  8. #8

    Default

    Im looking at this locker.
    http://streetperformanceusa.com/i-89...FQv0nAodMzsAbw

    As fas as getting stuck, I got stuck in my friends yard. I just drove up and felt a little slosh. I didn't want to rut up his yard so I tried to slow pace it out, but it start slipping. I ended up with nice size rut on one tire. Had both tires been spinning, I would have crawled out. Not to mention on the boat ramp too!

  9. #9

    Default

    I have heard good things about the Detroit Truetrac, though I have no personaly experience. Technically, I would not call it a locker -- it is a gear type limited slip. A lot of people prefer the Truetrac over conventional "clutch type" limited slips because there are no clutches to wear out, so it should last a long time.

    Because it is a full carrier replacement unit, be prepared to pay for (or learn how to DIY, if you don't already) a full diff rebuild, including setting up the ring & pinion. If you have 2wd and have considered changing the gear ratio, now would be a good time to make that adjustment, as you will be setting up the R&P anyway. If you have 4wd and want to add the expense of regearing the front, it might also be a good time to consider regearing even if you have 4wd.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    I have heard good things about the Detroit Truetrac, though I have no personaly experience. Technically, I would not call it a locker -- it is a gear type limited slip. A lot of people prefer the Truetrac over conventional "clutch type" limited slips because there are no clutches to wear out, so it should last a long time.

    Because it is a full carrier replacement unit, be prepared to pay for (or learn how to DIY, if you don't already) a full diff rebuild, including setting up the ring & pinion. If you have 2wd and have considered changing the gear ratio, now would be a good time to make that adjustment, as you will be setting up the R&P anyway. If you have 4wd and want to add the expense of regearing the front, it might also be a good time to consider regearing even if you have 4wd.
    I'll call around and see what it cost.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Just called local 4x4 custom shop. They said a detroit locker $799 and 300 for oil and labor.

    I'll buy the locker myself and save. How do I know which one to get?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last: 09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
  2. Locking differential
    By john cavedo in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last: 09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
  3. Locking differential v. limited slip
    By john cavedo in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last: 09-01-2008, 05:57 PM
  4. factory rear locking-differential
    By TrailFiend in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 12
    Last: 08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
  5. locking differential
    By Bens Dad in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 1
    Last: 01-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •