GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Legend


    mfleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7,213
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    I have heard good things about the Detroit Truetrac, though I have no personaly experience. Technically, I would not call it a locker -- it is a gear type limited slip. A lot of people prefer the Truetrac over conventional "clutch type" limited slips because there are no clutches to wear out, so it should last a long time.

    Because it is a full carrier replacement unit, be prepared to pay for (or learn how to DIY, if you don't already) a full diff rebuild, including setting up the ring & pinion. If you have 2wd and have considered changing the gear ratio, now would be a good time to make that adjustment, as you will be setting up the R&P anyway. If you have 4wd and want to add the expense of regearing the front, it might also be a good time to consider regearing even if you have 4wd.
    I had the Detroit installed when I had my gears changed. I do a lot of off-roading and so far, it has treated me well. As @McShorty mentioned it is not a locker; but if you find yourself getting into a difficult situation, you can get it to "lock" or transfer power by applying the right amount of brake pressure.

    Here is a great video that illustrates how much power each wheel gets when traveling over different sufaces (near the end of the 3 minute video).


    Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

    SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    I have heard good things about the Detroit Truetrac, though I have no personaly experience. Technically, I would not call it a locker -- it is a gear type limited slip. A lot of people prefer the Truetrac over conventional "clutch type" limited slips because there are no clutches to wear out, so it should last a long time.

    Because it is a full carrier replacement unit, be prepared to pay for (or learn how to DIY, if you don't already) a full diff rebuild, including setting up the ring & pinion. If you have 2wd and have considered changing the gear ratio, now would be a good time to make that adjustment, as you will be setting up the R&P anyway. If you have 4wd and want to add the expense of regearing the front, it might also be a good time to consider regearing even if you have 4wd.
    I have 2WD. I don't know about changing the gear ratio. I just wan't both wheels to spin when I hit the mushy stuff lol.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Think the tru-trac would satisfied my needs? Mostly driving through mushy terrain.
    Last edited by getrichschemer; 04-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.

  3. #13
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by getrichschemer View Post
    I have 2WD. I don't know about changing the gear ratio. I just wan't both wheels to spin when I hit the mushy stuff lol.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Think the tru-trac would satisfied my needs? Mostly driving through mushy terrain.

    2WD will not give you much more than you have now. the OEM eaton locker works very good to lock both wheels when slippage is had .I have had many times to engage my 4wd to get out of my driveway with just a small amount of snow.

    you have 1 WD really. 2wd is with the locking rear diff.

  4. #14

    Default

    Find a wrecked Silverado/Sierra with a G80, preferably 2011 or newer and get the entire rear axle from it to put in your truck. Remember, you will need to get the gear ratio and if it's different from yours, you have to get a programmer to tell the ECU the new axle ratio.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  5. #15

    Default

    I just wan't both wheels to spin when I hit the mushy stuff lol. Think the tru-trac would satisfied my needs?
    If it's just about "spinning both wheels" here's how I see it:
    An open diff will sometimes spin both wheels.
    A limited slip will spin both wheels more often than an open, but will still sometimes allow one wheel to spin alone
    A locker or spool will always force both wheels to spin.

    If you are unfamiliar with the different types of differentials, you might consider a little reading. There are others, I'm sure, but this is a site that I'm familiar with and could find quickly http://therangerstation.com/Magazine/Feb%2006/tech.htm http://therangerstation.com/tech_lib...erComparo.html Recognize that these guys are offroad guys and so they are biased towards lockers over limited slips, but they still describe the differences between the differential types so you can think it through.

    Will you be satisfied with a Truetrac? If you are like me, you will be perfectly satisfied with your limited slip until the day you get stuck (remember that a limited slip or locker is not a guarantee against getting stuck). I wish my crystal ball was good enough to tell you exactly how happy you will be with it, but it is hard to say based on what little we can see on an internet forum. Gut feel, you will be well served by the Truetrac and will have few occasions to curse it. How irritated will you be on those few occasions when you could use a real locker? How irritated will you be with a locker when it is chattering/ratcheting on corners? These kinds of decisions are about weighing pros and cons without any one right answer.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

  6. #16

    Default

    If I was buying a "locker" I would get a selectable one. ARB is one of the more popular ones. Why? When you don't want it engaged it isn't. And unless there is a malfunction will not engage so you keep your stock driving characteristics. When it is needed it is easily engaged with total lock up.
    Some things to help with traction is a bit of weight in the bed if you know you are going out into what could be sticky situation. As was mentioned lower air pressure (which the air compressor for the air locker could help remedy when you are done).





    2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

  7. #17
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    If it's just about "spinning both wheels" here's how I see it:
    An open diff will sometimes spin both wheels.
    A limited slip will spin both wheels more often than an open, but will still sometimes allow one wheel to spin alone
    A locker or spool will always force both wheels to spin.

    If you are unfamiliar with the different types of differentials, you might consider a little reading. There are others, I'm sure, but this is a site that I'm familiar with and could find quickly http://therangerstation.com/Magazine/Feb%2006/tech.htm http://therangerstation.com/tech_lib...erComparo.html Recognize that these guys are offroad guys and so they are biased towards lockers over limited slips, but they still describe the differences between the differential types so you can think it through.

    Will you be satisfied with a Truetrac? If you are like me, you will be perfectly satisfied with your limited slip until the day you get stuck (remember that a limited slip or locker is not a guarantee against getting stuck). I wish my crystal ball was good enough to tell you exactly how happy you will be with it, but it is hard to say based on what little we can see on an internet forum. Gut feel, you will be well served by the Truetrac and will have few occasions to curse it. How irritated will you be on those few occasions when you could use a real locker? How irritated will you be with a locker when it is chattering/ratcheting on corners? These kinds of decisions are about weighing pros and cons without any one right answer.
    since I have the eaton locker OEM rear diff on my SILVERADO , I have never had any chatter going thru the turns. remember it only goes into lock mode when the rotational differences are sensed. then [WHEN WORKING CORRECTLY] gradually locks into full lock.

    what most have happen is the fluid is incorrect or not replaced every 30-40,000 mi. the diff will not work correctly and engagement is not smooth.

    with the car limited slip that uses clutches like my 1996 impala SS this is the diff that does not ever disengage. this diff will chatter thru turns if throttled to much. this diff will cause one wheel to spin when stuck .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
  2. Locking differential
    By john cavedo in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
  3. Locking differential v. limited slip
    By john cavedo in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 05:57 PM
  4. factory rear locking-differential
    By TrailFiend in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
  5. locking differential
    By Bens Dad in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •