GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Steering Damper replacement interval?

Does anyone know how often the Steering Damper should last? I can't find a replacement interval listed on Mitchell...but it's basically a shock absorber for the steering components so it's got to wear out at some point...
    Opiewho
    2004 Silverado 2500HD W/T
    6.0L, RWD, Auto w/Towing Package

After many years of offroading Ive only had to replace three steering dampers. Two on dedicated rockcrawlers. Both of them were damaged bad enought to affect steering one with a bent shaft and the other dented deep enough where it was jammed and I had to disconnect it to get steering function so I could finish the trail.
    A somewhat street driven truck I own required dampner replacement after a serious mud romp. I suspect mud got past the seals causing it to blow them out and fail.
    Really not a part that gets or needs to be changed a lot.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by Opiewho View Post
    Does anyone know how often the Steering Damper should last? I can't find a replacement interval listed on Mitchell...but it's basically a shock absorber for the steering components so it's got to wear out at some point...

I think the interval is when they start to leak...they don't tend to see the abuse that a true shock absorber does. With that said, I typically changed the ones on my other trucks at or near 100k miles, I will probably do the same for this 2012.

Speaking of that, this 2012 2500HD didn't even come with one, so I sourced an OE stabilizer shock and installed it soon after purchasing this truck. It made all the difference in the world!

I'm at 167,000 miles now and was thinking I should probably change it out...
    Opiewho

Former Member

It also depends on the "use" of your ride...if its all highway, it might be fine. Off road and big tires, basically anything that tends to stress steering and suspension parts will accelerate the wear on the stabilizer too.

They are cheap enough...a generic Monroe was under $30 for my Dodge, the OE stabilizer for this Silverado was around $90.

Rockauto.com has an ACDelco for my Silverado for $58, just ordered it with a set of shocks.
    Opiewho