GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Oh, deer! (dashcam video)

I thought I'd share this since I knew the dash cam caught it, yesterday. Interestingly I've usually got a flood of light in front of me, but I was troubleshooting my fogs (which turned out to be a melted, yes MELTED fuse in an inline fuse holder), yesterday. So both my fogs and Specters were off -- leaving me with just low beams at dusk.

The nose of the truck dips at 5 seconds into the video -- for a good reason. At 6.5 - 7 seconds you'll see the flash of a white tail on the left hand side of the road (opposite the swervy road sign, on the right)...

I'll be raising the priority of tying some things into the Bussmann relay kit, this weekend, as a result...

but wheres the deer?
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeSilver02 View Post
    but wheres the deer?
    Exactly where I want it to be -- i.e. not being picked out of the grille (or, rather, engine compartment) of my truck!

Master Mechanic

I figured out the problem, the deer mistook the corner sign for a deer crossing sign
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

I'd have had a good shot of him if I'd had all of my lights on. I'd probably have seen him from a lot farther away, too.

Yea those lights need to go the top of the list. I hope we do not get a video of that white tail in the grille next time.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I figured out the problem, the deer mistook the corner sign for a deer crossing sign
    Yeah all deer know they shouldn't be crossing unless they are in a deer crossing zone (assuming you're referencing the move the deer crossings video)

I must say for a dashcam that is a nice quality video.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

@FrigginNoodles, blackbox cams have come a long, long way. I suspect they'll get super nice (and even cheaper) in the next few years, as WiFi connectivity to them (for management, vid retrieval, and even streaming from them) is beginning to makes its way into units, today.

@ChromeSilver02, the issue's already fixed ... specifically because of the troubleshooting I did on that drive. (I'd tweak something, drive a bit while paying attention, pull over, adjust something, and lather/rinse/repeat.)

Which model dash cam is that @SurrealOne?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

@Pikey, It's a FineVu CR-500HD. Here's a good article: http://dashcamtalk.com/finevu-cr-500hd/, also note US models have a black ring (instead of silver) around the camera lens. Before purchase I read some reports of the camera getting hot. So far it's like any black electronic device that hangs in the window -- warm to the touch in part from internal heat and in part from heat absorption. I've never found it to be unusually hot. We'll see how it does this summer.

I did not buy the optional GPS as I didn't like the idea of speed displayed on the camera. I don't speed, but it's still something someone could try to use against me ... and I don't like the idea of my own tech being turned on me.

The optional battery monitoring thing from FineVu is junk, by the way. Power Magic Pro devices are superior in every way for about the same money.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 04-09-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by