GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cold Air intakes...

Alright, I've been searching all over the web for Cold Air intake kits to go on my 2000 Silverado 5.3L 1500. Obviously some brands may be better quality or better functioning then others but I just don't know enough people with them to compare. I was wondering what peoples' opinions are on the subject. My father will always recommend K&N but I'm wondering if there are any others that produce higher then a 9hp gain. I'm looking for the greatest amount of horsepower practically possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Aaron - Kentucky
    "The Plague"
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

2. Thanks mfleetwood thanked for this post
    Likes mfleetwood liked this post
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

You won't feel it much between 5-14 HP gains. You will hear the Air being Sucked in and maybe a little more Pick up and go.But if you do do this then a Exhaust system along with a programer will help But be warned Your MPG's will also go down depending on your Right foot.. I myself have always gone with K&N for reliability, for filtration and Tests that they have performed.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

The gains are also primarily at WOT ... so unless you spend a lot of time there, your butt dyno will probably never notice an improvement. This means buy what you like the looks and/or sound of ... since they do change your underhood looks ... and also change how your machine sounds when it inhales.

I, myself, like Volant CAI's. I think the Banks units look sharp (REALLY sharp -- as in I even prefer them to Volants in terms of looks), but I've never had the opportunity to hear one.

I think you'll be lucky to get 5HP gain from a CAI.

IMO, just replace the intake tube with an MIT and pop in a K&N air filter. The combo of new tube and less restrictive filter may get you the 9HP gain you are looking for. It will certainly sound better under heavy throttle that's for sure.

Don't waste your time with a TBS, someone will surely tell you they help, but they don't do anything but whistle.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Ive said it before and Ill stand by it just like stchman posted a quality drop in filter and change out the inlet tube.
    Ive seen guys with a little imagination build some great air supply systems for very little money by visiting the local hardware store and seeing whats available.
    Theres not a huge amount of power to be gained without internal engine upgrades done in conjunction with exhaust upgrades and intake upgrades.
    Yuo might pick off a couple horsepower here and there but when combined they wont all add up to a neck snapping change.
    But the audible change coupled with visual change can sometimes be worth the price.

Sr. Apprentice
    Currently living in Medford, Oregon. Was raised in Athens, Georgia

Go with K&N, they are easy to install. Oh and they are usually cheaper on Amazon than the actual K&N website.
    2008 6.2L GMC Sierra Denail

yeah K&N will give you the most power. proven.
    plus, they come with a 1,000,000 mile warranty. so if its ever damaged in anyway you can get a new one.
    just be sure you get the "precharger" filter wrap-sock-thing for it. makes it stay MUCH cleaner
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Legend
    Blog Entries

I had a 63 series K&N full intake on my 5.3, and it looked nice $379.00
    I just bought a Spectre kit for my truck, $150 Summit Racing and it looks nice too.

Performance gains eeehh?? Looks-hell yeah, sound- yep it's all there
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Performance gains eeehh?? Looks-hell yeah, sound- yep it's all there
    Well said!

K&N is a good brand of cai. I had one on my previous car though I experienced minor improvement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast