GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

I'm considering Spectre just because of the big price difference between them and K&N. Good idea or should I save up some more for the higher priced K&N?
    Aaron - Kentucky
    "The Plague"
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Legend
    Blog Entries

​I bought a Spectre for my truck, and I can't tell a difference between this $150.00 unit, and my old K&N $365.00 unit. Personal preference I guess, but I actually think the Spectre looks nicer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0681.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	51951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0598.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	51952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0599.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	51953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0600.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	51954
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

If you add more AIR the computer will add more GAS! JMHO........ I would just add a better filter!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

ive cut open those filters and looked at them... theyre basically a paper towel.... super ****ty chink material
    K&N is totally overpriced, but remember, your buying a lifetime warranty for every single part of the kit. and your getting American cotton pleats as a filter material... not paper towel from china

i didnt get one for my truck cause i just got the filter in the stock air cleaner. TBI doesnt need a cold air intake
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Airraid MIT tube and the factory box is your best bet..

- - - Updated - - -

Heres Proof...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie@BBP
    The cold air intake product testing took place on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at our Dyno facility in Temecula.
    First, Iíd like to say a big thank you to our customer Jason Thomas who loaned us his vehicle (2008 Silverado 5.3L Flex Fuel) for the testing!
    The truck was completely stock with 130,000 miles, and all testing was conducted with the hood closed to simulate real-world driving conditions. Gains reported are to the wheels as opposed to the crank.
    Again, please note that we did not have anything to gain by this intake testing, nor did we have any bias for or against any of the companiesí products being tested. This was strictly an independent testing.
    **Also please note that we sell all of the brands of intakes that were tested. For pricing, please email (julie@blackbearperformance.com[/EMAIL"]julie@blackbearperformance.com"]julie@blackbearperformance.com[/EMAIL]) or PM me.
    That all being said, here are the results. If you have any questions, please donít hesitate to ask, but please letís try to keep all comments respectful and we definitely do not want to see any bashing of any of the tested products.
    Results:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55742651/In...ng Results.pdf
    Pictures:
    AEM

*We are missing the dyno graph for the AEM, but Justin will get it next time he is up at the shop.

Airaid - Modular Intake Tube ONLY - Stock filter

CAI, Inc.

K&N

Volant

-Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Maybe I read the charts-dyno runs-incorrectly
    But all the results-WERE THE SAME- for all practical purposes.
    255 vs 264 hp
    9hp- 3% increase.
    NOT MUCH- and 9hp doesn't necessarily mean it will accelerate faster-not if throttle response is compromised.
    With modern EFI- throttle response is probably fine
    but like TB and others said- no one can "feel" 9hp in the seat of their pants

Save your $$ put in N20 injection-it might cost $600 for a 75 hp shot-but you will actually be able to "feel" it
    and it won't give your truck that funny that funny CAI ricer car sound
    Yeah-N20 best bang for $$-and you get stock MPG and sound-except when you want to GO.
    CAI waste of $$.

But I'm old cheap cranky and negative in respect to "bolt on" performance-except N20 bolt on-it actually works-
    Ignore me and get something that looks cool when you pop the hood.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

here is the PDF for all their info..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Results.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Maybe I read the charts-dyno runs-incorrectly
    But all the results-WERE THE SAME- for all practical purposes.
    255 vs 264 hp
    9hp- 3% increase.
    NOT MUCH- and 9hp doesn't necessarily mean it will accelerate faster-not if throttle response is compromised.
    With modern EFI- throttle response is probably fine
    but like TB and others said- no one can "feel" 9hp in the seat of their pants

Save your $$ put in N20 injection-it might cost $600 for a 75 hp shot-but you will actually be able to "feel" it
    and it won't give your truck that funny that funny CAI ricer car sound
    Yeah-N20 best bang for $$-and you get stock MPG and sound-except when you want to GO.
    CAI waste of $$.

But I'm old cheap cranky and negative in respect to "bolt on" performance-except N20 bolt on-it actually works-
    Ignore me and get something that looks cool when you pop the hood.
    Charlie
    I would like to hear more about this N20 injection if you please!

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    I would like to hear more about this N20 injection if you please!
    I think the information on the N20 would be great for members to learn about. @phoebeisis ; would you mind starting a new thread on this when you have a moment? Thanks!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by A_Clutts View Post
    Alright, I've been searching all over the web for Cold Air intake kits to go on my 2000 Silverado 5.3L 1500. Obviously some brands may be better quality or better functioning then others but I just don't know enough people with them to compare. I was wondering what peoples' opinions are on the subject. My father will always recommend K&N but I'm wondering if there are any others that produce higher then a 9hp gain. I'm looking for the greatest amount of horsepower practically possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Try this! http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...ter-study.html