GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Performance Upgrade question on 2006 Express

Hi all, I am new here, but have been searching for answers to a question or two, this seems like a good place to start. We have a 2006 Express Van, 4.3 V8, Cargo. It is used daily for hard work, several hundred miles and pulls full utility trailer. The van works hard and hardly gives any trouble. It has been running a little warmer from 210 to 230 and back down. My research says that can be normal and not to worry. I would like a better opinion though. Also, I really want to know what aftermarket mods or performance parts may exist for the van that can help it out with its workload and maybe make it easier on the engine freeing up power and making it run easier and live longer.

Have any of you added anything to your van to boot performance? Do you know of anything that may help to cool its engine during hard runs? Any ideas would help. Thanks so much!

not sure if you tried this or not, but a great deal of performance sites let you look up parts and accessories by year make model and so on. i would start there. but im guessing you would want to upgrade the cooling system. aluminum radiator better transmission cooler, especially if your constantly working it like that. speaking as someone who has a list of things id love to do to my truck and not really the $$ to do it right now it all depends on what you can and will spend. hope this at least helps a little bit. im guessing you were after a more technical response

if the running warm issue just started and was not a problem in the past under the same conditions, I would look into changing the thermostat out and doing a coolant flush. As far as performance, I don't know if there is a programmer that will work for the van. But, @06MonteSS will be able to tell you

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    if the running warm issue just started and was not a problem in the past under the same conditions, I would look into changing the thermostat out and doing a coolant flush. As far as performance, I don't know if there is a programmer that will work for the van. But, @06MonteSS will be able to tell you
    This is spot-on as a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    This is spot-on as a starting point.
    Actually we changed it about 2-3 months ago when the water pump went, we replaced the thermostat also at that time, and new coolant. Haven't had any problems since then until the next couple of days.