GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 04 gmc yukon xl denali.....to buy or not to buy?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and tried posting earlier but it didn't go thorough. I found an 04 Yukon Xl Denali that is perfect for me and the family. I have spent the last few days doing research on the vehicle and have seen many many posts about the tranny for this year. Should this be a deal breaker for me? I'm nervous to even buy it because how much negativity I've seen. It is a great looking vehicle and the price is right in our budget. It is an 04' AWD with 110,000 miles. Carfax says 3 owners but one of them was the dealer. Other than that according the car fax the maintenance was regularly performed during the last 40,000 miles and just 500 miles ago the front and rear differential were flushed and serviced.

Are the bad transmissions such a problem that I should be looking for something else? I figured better safe than sorry and I should ask here to people with actual experience before I purchase anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh

Don't know about trans, but when I found out they only came AWD that was a deal breaker for me.

'01 K2500 496 big block It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

I agree, the awd was a deal breaker for me also. I have a cousin with one and he gets 2mpg less than I do with my yukon xl.He also seems to be replacing or repairing front end parts (front diff repairs) constantly. I like the option of keeping my truck in 2wd, having 4 high and the option for the torque available in 4 low. You can get a regular yukon xl with every option of the denali except the 2nd row heated seats and the 2 tone seats. I am pretty sure that the 6.0L could be had without the denali package. Plus, while looking at trucks a few months ago, it seemed that the denali owners had a false sense of a higher worth than a standard yukon xl. The price increase was just not worth it to me.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Apprentice
    Currently living in Medford, Oregon. Was raised in Athens, Georgia

Man, I sure do hope they have fixed the AWD issues by 08, if not me and the dealership are about to go rounds. The truck already has a vibration that I'm not to fond of.
    2008 6.2L GMC Sierra Denail