GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice
    Currently living in Medford, Oregon. Was raised in Athens, Georgia

Default Truck shakes while Idle

Is my truck supposed to shake while it is idle? It happens while idle every couple of seconds it seems like the truck shakes a little bit.

Oh its a 08 Sierra Denali.

Also, when I say shake, I mean its like a shiver if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by repley81; 04-11-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    2008 6.2L GMC Sierra Denail

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Did you put the wrong gas in?? Is your motor shaking?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Sr. Apprentice

Im not sure what it is. I use premium gas. It's like every 15-20 seconds, it seems like the truck vibrates while sitting still. I've just never felt anything like that in a vehicle before.

Both the 4.8 in my old silverado and the 5.3 in my Avalanche do this. Its just like a little twitch every few seconds. As far as I can tell, its fairly normal for Vortec engines since mine have both done it while running top-notch. I don't really know what causes it, but I know that it doesn't come with any current or pending misfire/other check engine codes and it doesn't affect the performance of the engine.

That being said, keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse because that would indicate a larger issue. Hopefully that won't be the case though.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    Both the 4.8 in my old silverado and the 5.3 in my Avalanche do this. Its just like a little twitch every few seconds. As far as I can tell, its fairly normal for Vortec engines since mine have both done it while running top-notch. I don't really know what causes it, but I know that it doesn't come with any current or pending misfire/other check engine codes and it doesn't affect the performance of the engine.

That being said, keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse because that would indicate a larger issue. Hopefully that won't be the case though.
    Gawd, I really hope that's all it is.

I have had 3 5.3L motors and one of them did what you are describing. I ran some sea foam thru the brake booster line and it smoothed it out.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have had 3 5.3L motors and one of them did what you are describing. I ran some sea foam thru the brake booster line and it smoothed it out.
    Mind going into detail on how this work please?

You take the large vacuum line off of your brake booster. start the truck, SLOWLY suck half a can of sea foam into the engine thru the line. Shut the truck off. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so. reconnect the line, Start it up and watch the smoke show. Don't do it in a closed garage! Every vehicle I have done it to smokes like crazy for a few minutes as it burns all the crap out.

Sr. Apprentice

Awesome, thanks. Kinda starting to worry I bought a Lemon, I've had it for almost a month and it seems like every week I find something else wrong.

I know how you feel. I bought an 05 yukon xl last summer and have had the Front diff, transfercase, steering gearbox, hydro brake booster, alternator, power steering pump, idler pully, and both belt tensioners replaced under warranty.