GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Apprentice
    Where Uncle Sam sends me (currently Jacksonville, NC)

Default Tranny Issues After Fluid/Filter Change

Just did a tranny fluid and filter change on my 04 Colorado Z71. It's got 125K miles on it and a tranny cooler. Followed the Haynes manual and added 3 qts (mix of LucasOil Sure Shift, Fluid Conditioner, and Stop Slip) after buttoning everything back up, and then ran it, parked, for about 15 minutes. Went through each gear, and held a constant 1500 RPMs, without revving, just as the manual advises. Checked the fluid level and the stick indicated I was good. When I took it out for a test drive last night, I had little power, shift points were all over the place, engine was working too hard (3000 rpms in 4th/OD), and everything was getting very hot. When I got it home, I checked for leaks, and checked the fluid level again. Still full, but now the fluid was starting to turn brown. I'm thinking that the filter slipped, and I'm subsequently burning fluid. Does this sound right?
    Chris
    '03 Trailblazer
    '04 Colorado Z71
    Previous Chevys: '89 & '91 S-10 Pickups, '98 S-10 Blazer

I would drop the pan and take a look. Have you done a trans service in the past? Some techs recommend not doing it if you have over 100,000 and have not done it before. They say that The dirt in the fluid actually helps things seal and acts as a friction material on the bands. I have seen at least 3 times, one of them being a used car we bought my wife, have the trans go out after doing the service. My wife's Cadillac only had 60,000 miles on it! In all 3 cases the trans did not have any issues immediately after the service. It took a month or 2 for issues to develope

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice
    Where Uncle Sam sends me (currently Jacksonville, NC)

I've done them on all my vehicles in the past, and a couple had well over 100K on the odometer. Dropped the pan and redid everything, and now I have absolutely no power, and it threw a P0502 code, which is "vehicle speed sensor A low circuit." I'm at a loss, never had this or any problem when changing the fluid and filter. Shop is on the way to get it.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Your VSS switch is on the passenger side of the transmission, it has two wires coming off of it. green/black stripe and black. Your code indicates a short in that harness, which runs up to the TPS and cruise control circuit. I know this doesn't explain the burnt fluid, but I would bet you have a pinched wire in the transmission harness.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap