GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Unhappy Chevy 2500 Express ignition problem..

Hey yall... my Van is a 2002 Chevy 2500 express 3/4 ton V8.

today I went out to head for a job with my Van, and when i went to put the key in the ignition , dash lights came on for a split second and i turned the key in the on position, and it didint even try to start. then i turned the key back in the off position and when i removed the key, i started hearing this CLICKING noise, sounds like a relay trying to catch or something. so i did some research and found the part that was clicking. its a little black box with the ignition purple wiring leading to it right under my dash. so i found the part at GM dealership and changed the part (with the battery disconnected) hooked everything back up and the problem still occurred. Then!! i was thinking it could be the starting relay in the fuse box up front near the engine. changed that and still no change!

I noticed a few weeks ago that every other time i would turn the key in the on position, i would have to hold the key in the on position for about 1-2 seconds before it tried to start. well the problem got worse till eventually it would start anymore. so i changed the battery, it worked well for about 2 weeks, then the problem started again.

so now i'm kinda confused on what it could be. does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. I am unable to help with your problem but I am sure someone will be along soon that can help you out.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Welcome!

Maybe a flat spot on the starter? It would explain the intermittent nature... and the clicking.

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas