GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Van Won't Start - Instrument Panel Dimmer Makes Clicking Sound - Any Ideas?

GM PART # 15150325
    CATEGORY: Instrument Panel Dimmer

Today I went to start my van, but it was a no go. It doesn't do anything as if the battery is dead. No radio, no lights, nada. I just bought a new battery 3 weeks ago and tested it with a multimeter and am getting 12 - 14 volts so I know it's not the battery. The instrument panel dimmer however clicks like crazy when I open the doors or take the key out of the ignition. I went to GM and bought a new instrument panel dimmer, but the new one did the same thing, so it's got to be something else.

I noticed a few weeks ago that every other time I would turn the key in the "on" position, I would have to hold the key in the on position for about 1-2 seconds before it tried to start. This problem was fixed though when I got the new battery about 3 weeks ago. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I would bring it up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank so much!

What your van are we talking about? I don't know much about the vans. I wonder if there is a relay that could be bad, that would explain the clicking, or it may be a wire shorted and the "clicking" sound is actually sparking.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

My Van is a 2002 Chevy 2500 express 3/4 ton V8.

When I went out to head for a job with my Van, I went to put the key in the ignition , dash lights came on for a split second and when I turned the key in the "on" position, and it didin't even try to start. then I turned the key back in the off position and when i removed the key, i started hearing this CLICKING noise, sounds like a relay trying to catch or something. so I did some research and found the part that was clicking, its was the Instrument Panel Dimmer with the ignition purple wiring leading to it right under my dash. Then!! I was thinking it could be the starting relay in the fuse box up front near the engine. changed that, and same thing happened.

so I'm kinda confused on what it could be. have any suggestions?