GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GM's AFM Problems and Solutions : What is Range Techology all about?

Range Technology has some solutions for those who want to get more out of their GM 5.3 AFM engine.Ok Adam, let's give you the chance to discuss everything people need to know about GM's AFM system and what Range Technology has developed to give value back to GM owners.

I know that's an open question, but I'm like a lot of people, I've driven several of GM's vehicles that have AFM in them, and I'm familiar with some of the problems with first hand experience. What do you bring to the table? How can you help?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Hey Steve:
    I'm not here to bash GM. I have had a great experience with my AFM vehicles. However - we think that all OEM technology can be customized to fit the user from an aftermarket perspective. For example - we offer three products to improve the use cases of folks with AFM.

For those who hate it, we offer a product that disables AFM at the source. We issue a command that tells the ECU to stay in V8 mode 100% of the time. The system literally stays dormant forever and your vehicle runs like a normal V8. The beauty of this device is that it does not reprogram the factory ECU. So we are not making any changes to the stock calibration and hence, no obvious red flags for the dealer. Once you remove the device - it's like it wasn't there. These are very popular with folks who have had problems with AFM, as you referenced, or guys who just want to have a V8 truck back but don't want a tune.

Our fuel economy devices work the same way - but they increase the amount of time in 4 cylinder mode, saving as much as 65 gallons of gas per year.

Hope this is a good start for a conversation. Please let me know if you have any questions. They don't even have to be AFM related. My head engineer and I have have spent a combined 35 years in the performance aftermarket. We aren't afraid to tell the truth now that we're out on our own.

Adam

Adam Raper
    Range Technology
    (888) 997-6515

Ok, that's a good primer. But it begs another pretty big question about your Year / Make / Model coverage.

So, what are the vehicles & engine technologies that you have developed solutions for? How do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Ok, that's a good primer. But it begs another pretty big question about your Year / Make / Model coverage.

So, what are the vehicles & engine technologies that you have developed solutions for? How do they work?
    We support 100% of the AFM vehicles. Frankly - guys with Camaros have been one of our largest markets - but the trucks are still king. We are 100% focused on GM AFM right now and have been for the last 2.5 years. We are toying with developing for Dodge MDS this summer, but we're not sure yet.

Adam

It looks interesting, but it also looks like it plugs into the OBD II port inside the truck, I have a bluetooth OBD II transmitter that stays on the OBD II connection so I can run real time diagnostics on all the PID's etc, tune settings.... so this would not work for me unless I had a second OBD II port.

That, and your truck doesn't have AFM.

Adam

Mine doesn't...................anymore!
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

I have a question about the dormancy of the AFM system. Say I use it to completely shut of AFM and a year later I go on a long road trip in my truck and want it on for the fuel economy. Are there problems that can occur after such a prolonged period of inactivity? Are there any associated problems with completely shutting it off?

Anyone here have this? Experience with the AFM off? Any problems?
    2011 Silverado 1500 TX Edition 5.3L V8

Sr. Mechanic

I don't think anyone has had their AFM off for an extended period to give you an answer to this. Maybe Adam from Range Technology can answer this-he has seen these motors when they are taken apart.