GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default any suggestion for mufflers for an '81 with a 454

I have a 1981 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 2wd it used to have an diesel engine in it. when that went my father and I built a 454 for it. the 454 has a couple mods done to it. Hooker headers, mild cam, and a few other things. the exhaust is currently running out the stock diesel mufflers so its time for some new ones. I want something that is going to sound good throaty with not to much snap and not to loud...
    some help please let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22470960017_large.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	51468
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22470960003_large.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	51469
    2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 5.3L, HID 13000k,Black Projector lights, Smoked LED Taillights, 22" wheels, Gutted Third Cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler.

Jr. Apprentice

I say put some glasspacks on her and let her talk nasty to ya!

Everyone that I know runs flowmaster 40s or 44s, sounds good to me but its all in what you like.

I personally like to get a good rumble, but not a space shuttle lift off on full throttle. Dynomax makes a good muffler that won't be too loud. I just can't remember the name of it.

im gonna buy flowmaster 50s for mine. theyre just like how your discribing but theyll boom when you want them too, and be mellow on the highway.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Master Mechanic

The CherryBomb Votex is a pretty good muffler for the price. Combination of chamber and glasspack
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

that is a sexy f'ing truck lol i had flowmaster 40s on my 355 and it made it sound pretty beefy. magnaflow makes good exhaust too and they seem to last longer than the flowmasters. if youre on a budget, id say true duals with flowmaster 40s or 44s, for a tight budget go glasspacks, if you have more than a few hundred to spend, magnaflows with a x-pipe. great sound, great power... and magnaflow stickers (+10% horse power at the wheels)

5.7L 350| .420 Cam | Bored 0.030 | Edelbrock intake manifold | 600 Cfm Edelbrock Carburetor | Long tube headers | Shift kit | Chrome dress up kit | Flowmaster 40's exhaust | Edelbrock heads | Custom paint
    SOLD

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

HONORARY CANUCK