Alright guys Im gonna go ahead and start this thread for my bumper build and update it as progress continues...

materials:

1) JD2 pipe bender
2) 1.5" schedule 40 pipe
3) level
4) tape measure
5) welder
6) drill press

Heres what I got started last weekend...

had to mount our new JD2 pipe bender, since I knew we had no place other than dead center of our guest house garage, I knew it would also have to be movable, so I used female concrete anchors, so I could store it out of the way when not using it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2509 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	51483

setup done, now time for lots of measuring and tedious thinking...

here was my first two bends...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2520 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	51485

second two bends...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2521 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	811 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	51486

my brother is holding it up for a visual reference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2522 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	872 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	51487

once again visual reference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2523 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	51488

now to begin my point of no return...

starting with sawing off the frame horns...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2525 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	51489

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2526 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	51490

here was after my first cut
(THE METAL BLADES ON THE SAWZAW CUT THROUGH LIKE BUTTER!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2527 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	734 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	51491

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2528 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	51492

looking good so far after second (what was supposed to be final cut)
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2538 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	51493



then I noticed this...
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2539 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	51494

My truck was totaled my junior year in high school thanks to the most favorite NBS, ABS sensor defect, that GM has no motivation to ever fix. And i never thought that my left front frame horn couldve been replaced.... well apparently it was, and when it was replaced, it seem they cut about 1/2" extra off before welding the replacement horn back on, which is weird because my stock bumper sat just fine...

its really not too much of a setback, since this is a CUSTOM bumper, but id rather everything be even on both sides just for easier measurements.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2547 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	1279 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	51495

this is after I used some leftover rustoleum bed spray on the front frame to keep rust from attacking my fresh new cuts...

thats all i got done for my first weekend...

near future plans:

1) make sure frame ends are even
2) find some 1/2" sheet steel to weld into my frame horns to cap them off, and provide a solid mounting point for my bumper
3) cap ends of main tube