GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finally off winter blend gas here in St. Louis. Much better MPG.

I think we are finally off winter blend gas here in St. Louis. My mileage went up decently with this new tank of 87. After ~40 miles of highway driving having the cruise set at 63 I was getting 21.8 MPG. No I did not reset the average MPG while driving down a hill.

Remember to always use cruise when you can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130416_211354.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	51516

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Just in time for my trip to Oklahoma. I get 19-20 mpg with summer blend and 16-17 with winter blend. Pretty substantial difference.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

In CT winter blend is actually more efficient then our summer. Right now were on just plain gas with no state required additives which we only have in spring and fall before the two other blends. The summer gas has an anti smog additive that ends up hurting MPG more than planed.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Amen to that, glad to have it back, definitely welcome the added mpg. The only bad thing is nicer weather means I want to drive more and the windows are down. lol Cruise control is the best way to go on interstate and flat terrain so I agree there but on rolling terrain cruise control can hurt more than help from my experience.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

One of the car magazines, possibly car & driver, did a test about 15-17 years ago to determine if a conscientious person could achieve better mileage than cruise control. They used about 10 drivers and 10 diff vehicles. The tests with the drivers controlling the throttle did get a bit better mileage, by about .5 mpg, if i recall. The cruise control vehicels that did the worst were large V8 cars and trucks, where the cruise would downshift going up a hill, speed up, then hang at the CC-set speed without shifing into the next gear. One of the test vehicles was a new Vette, and everyone complained that when the CC downshifted, the thing took off like a rocket...pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    One of the car magazines, possibly car & driver, did a test about 15-17 years ago to determine if a conscientious person could achieve better mileage than cruise control. They used about 10 drivers and 10 diff vehicles. The tests with the drivers controlling the throttle did get a bit better mileage, by about .5 mpg, if i recall. The cruise control vehicels that did the worst were large V8 cars and trucks, where the cruise would downshift going up a hill, speed up, then hang at the CC-set speed without shifing into the next gear. One of the test vehicles was a new Vette, and everyone complained that when the CC downshifted, the thing took off like a rocket...pretty funny.
    15-17 years ago probably a bunch of those cars and trucks had carburetors. Today's vehicles have 6 speed transmissions and are far more technologically advanced.

I would like to see a test re-done with today's modern automobiles.

Now, another point, who here is that conscientious on say an 8 hour drive? When on the interstate, I prefer to set the cruise and forget about it.

Edmunds did a test and found up to a 14% fuel savings by using cruise control. If you have it, use it.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...-the-tips.html

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    The cruise control vehicels that did the worst were large V8 cars and trucks, where the cruise would downshift going up a hill, speed up, then hang at the CC-set speed without shifing into the next gear.
    This has been my experience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    who here is that conscientious on say an 8 hour drive? l
    I like to think I am ; but, I am willing to give it a try. The next time we go to Ontario I will use cc for at least part of the trip.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

15-17 years ago would be 96-98 so we were already into OBDII and (to my knowledge) no carbureted engines made it to OBDII (I think 87 or 88 was the last year for carburetors in GM vehicles) and most everything was already some form of sequential fuel injection. I generally do use cruise (unless I'm in the Camaro which does not have cruise) unless I'm in rough terrain or in city traffic. The biggest advantage to cruise for me though is avoiding speeding tickets. It would be real easy to get going too fast on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock when I'm on my way too or from Oklahoma because of how flat and open it is.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

Quote Originally Posted by SupplySgt View Post
    15-17 years ago would be 96-98 so we were already into OBDII and (to my knowledge) no carbureted engines made it to OBDII (I think 87 or 88 was the last year for carburetors in GM vehicles) and most everything was already some form of sequential fuel injection. I generally do use cruise (unless I'm in the Camaro which does not have cruise) unless I'm in rough terrain or in city traffic. The biggest advantage to cruise for me though is avoiding speeding tickets. It would be real easy to get going too fast on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock when I'm on my way too or from Oklahoma because of how flat and open it is.
    You are assuming that the test used brand new cars, I would have to read the test. I am just a very firm believer in cruise control.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

Gm PCM's use a fuel saver mode when cruise is engaged so driving on level road with both scenarios the vehicle will get better fuel economy on cruise. Driving in hilly country cruise will use a bit more fuel.
    I use the manual mode to down shift to 5th BEFORE the hills and get great fuel economy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast