GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New truck, a few maintenance questions. 02 Tahoe 5.3 with 200k

I just picked up the Tahoe 4wd and was going over the truck tonight and had a few questions about the 4wd components and possible issues.

• On the front end, there is a little bit of play up and down (just enough to feel with my hand) where the drivers side axle goes into the front differential (not rotational play but physically up and down). There was no play on the passenger side. There does not appear to be any fluid leaking.

• Where the front driveshaft connects to the transfer case, there is also a slight bit of play up and down. There is also a fluid leak from the transfer case. The truck was parked and stopped while in 2wd. There was a bit of rotational play on the front driveshaft where it goes into the transfer case.

Do both of those things sound like problems? I am guessing the transfer case may be a worn pinion and seal.

There also was a somewhat loud noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the engine like a knocking but I was unable to locate the noise with a stethoscope on the oil pan or anywhere near. It sounded like it was on the drivers side.

Thanks

the leak at the transfer case where the shaft goes in is probably the output shaft seal. as far as some of the movement Ive always had a little play. Not sure I am any help on the noise as of now.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Would a rebuild kit like this take care of my problems? Looks like it has the main pinion bearings and seals. I heard about a chain or another mod that fixes something that wears a hole in the casing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261239195147...84.m1423.l2649
    I just want to make sure I fix it and not end up with something else breaking.