GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wifey gave the nod for 4.56s!

The lady and I made an agreement when we got married, anything over $100 has to be discussed. Obviously the rate will be negotiated as we move up but it's probably saved us some $$.

ANYHOW, pretty stoked. Found a set with master install kit, front and rear axle for $500. Hopefully update y'all soon.

One question. Will driving with the ABS light on until I get it tuned for the new gears cause any damage?
    Charles 02 z71 Cladded Avy
    Mods: eBay k&n Intake, highflow magnaflow cats & y pipe, 6" FabTech lift, 35" Pro Comps, Superchips #2715, SnugTop, 4.56's, MOOG front end
    Wishes: LQ4 + a beefed up 4L60E

2. Likes Steve liked this post
    Legend
    Blog Entries

First off WOW on the price, that is crazy suspiciously cheap lol!! I can't even get a Richmond ring and pinion for under $400.

As for the ABS I can't really say for sure, but I just upgraded from 3.42 up to 4.10 and the only thing I noticed is the transmission shifts a little different, but I also have not been retuned as of yet.

2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    First off WOW on the price, that is crazy suspiciously cheap lol!! I can't even get a Richmond ring and pinion for under $400.

As for the ABS I can't really say for sure, but I just upgraded from 3.42 up to 4.10 and the only thing I noticed is the transmission shifts a little different, but I also have not been retuned as of yet.

Yeah it's all name brand stuff. USA Standard gears and Koyo bearings with the master kit. Seller on eBay has over 10k positive reviews so it seems pretty legit.

I heard that anything over 4.10 will set off the abs light but I haven't found a definitive answer as to what harm that can do to the truck, if any.
    Mods: eBay k&n Intake, highflow magnaflow cats & y pipe, 6" FabTech lift, 35" Pro Comps, Superchips #2715, SnugTop, 4.56's, MOOG front end

> 4.10 will, indeed, trigger the idiot lights.

I don't know about driving with them on, as I retuned mine in the parking lot the day I picked it up when the regear was complete.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    > 4.10 will, indeed, trigger the idiot lights.

I don't know about driving with them on, as I retuned mine in the parking lot the day I picked it up when the regear was complete.
    Yeah, I wanted to spread the cost some since a decent tune will be about $400, gears $500, then probably a few hundred for the labor on the front axle (don't think I'm up for that install).

Not bad all in all though, just have to break it up so she doesnt flip out $$

just to add on, I've looked this guy up on other forums. Has a great reputation on a few truck sites. Ron's machining service

How do you like the upgrade so far? What improvements have you experienced, rear torque (pulling power), MPG, less downshifting while slight uphill grades? I am near a gear change myself and would like to know, your thoughts. Thanks for any reply....
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    How do you like the upgrade so far? What improvements have you experienced, rear torque (pulling power), MPG, less downshifting while slight uphill grades? I am near a gear change myself and would like to know, your thoughts. Thanks for any reply....
    Ordering them tonight, I take a lot of time before spending a few hundred (thrifty some say). I will definitely update as soon as they are in. I have been checking multiple forums for opinions on the 33" tire with 4.56 combo. You can order 4.10s factory with the 31" tire which is pretty close in effective gear ratio, so I feel comfortable with the setup.

Also:

I have called a few shops around town, all have said I won't do any damage to the vehicle with the idiot light on. Just an off speedo and lose the ABS system.

One of the mechanics I spoke with said when he installed his lift that the instructions recommended disabling the ABS... anyone heard of that or is that just an old school mechanic?
    Last edited by kinson33; 04-23-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Superlift sells both a speedo calibrator (part #33003) and an ABS calibrator (part #3400). I have the speedometer calibrator and it worked perfect (allows 2 settings by a switch), it is a hardwired unit. I do not have the ABS recalibrator as I do not have 4.56 in my truck currently (will probably go to it eventually since the truck is no longer a dd)
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Superlift sells both a speedo calibrator (part #33003) and an ABS calibrator (part #3400). I have the speedometer calibrator and it worked perfect (allows 2 settings by a switch), it is a hardwired unit. I do not have the ABS recalibrator as I do not have 4.56 in my truck currently (will probably go to it eventually since the truck is no longer a dd)
    Got your message, thanks David.

I'll look into that, just got the gears in yesterday! Now its just a matter of finding a day off to get them installed... lame, I know.

I've made a few connections through my work though and a mechanic shop down the street from me has a few guys that build their own rock crawlers, sound pretty knowledgable. Told me he knows how to calibrate the computer for the new gears and aftermarket tires. I'll see what he is asking for to do this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast