GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission Cooler Line Help

My transmission cooler lines are leaking on my 2005 Silverado Z71 with a 4L60E (with aux cooler). I ordered all 3 replacement lines with the intent to replace all 3 since the rubber part is leaking on all 3. I jacked the truck up, slid under and I don't see how I can get the lines off the transmission, there isn't space. Any tricks? Part of my problem may have been the jack stand exactly in my way... Any advise is appreciated.

I just don't see how I have space, those stupid quick connect clips are a pain to get on...

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!!!

The easiest way is to cut the old line, use a compression fitting and then cut the new one and hook it on. I did this with my S10, and I never had a problem with it. If you want to do it the right way, you would have to lower the transmission enough to be able to get your hands in there.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

What sort of compression fitting did you use? Did you just cut up new lines and splice in the steel line or did you just replace the rubber?

Legend
    Blog Entries

My lines were all steel, I didn't have any rubber lines on either of my trucks. I bought the brass compression fittings from auto zone, they are in the help section. Most people use them for brake lines, but I forget what size they were...
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Jr. Mechanic

they are not to bad,just did them again on my 02 6.0,i purchaced all the ends also,(fittings)it was easier to cut my lines at the tranny,then put new fittings in,as far as installing lines,you have to spin them alot to get them in there,do both at same time,a second pair of hands did help

Legend

using a tubing cutter you can cut off the lines near the transmission where it is easy to work. cut them about 3 inches apart not next to each other. then install the compression fittings to the new lines with the cut on those made for a proper fit.

do not use any hack saw or other saw type cutter. this will create material that will damage the transmission.

most likely the rubber hoses have hardened and shrunk. so It is leaking at the crimp ends. my guess is this is because this transmission has had dexron III in it for too long a time causing the rubber material to get damaged.
    Last edited by j cat; 04-21-2013 at 05:30 PM.

I have replaced my trans cooler lines twice. I have a 2wd with rack and pinion, that makes it a huge PIA. Let me tell you this, they can be removed. I don't know the specifics of 4wd, but if you have a 2wd they can be done. It takes a lot of finagling, but they will come out. If I recall correctly to get them out I removed the connections, pulled the entire line assembly towards the rear of the car, then then removed the line by pulling/pushing it up into the fan shroud towards the battery. Again, it was a frustrating afternoon, but it can be done.
    04 1/2 Ton Silverado Ext. Cab 2wd 4.8L bought New in Aug. 2004, 150k Miles.