GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hello All, can anyone help?

Hello all, I have a 1989 GMC Jimmy 4X4 with a 5.7L. I bought it last fall from a kid that did some work to it, but I am having to go through it and double check what I can. I have put less than 100 miles on it so far, but who knows how many miles the truck has on it; The truck has ALOT of rust, especially holes in the body tub. This doesn't bother me because this is my beach/fishing truck; so I may just glass over the holes to reinforce the floor. I do have some questions though. This truck has had a rough life. Question #1: Can I easily switch both front windows as well as the back window from power to manual? Question #2: Can I switch from solid back side windows to sliding easily? Question #3: Well, this is really an electrical issue that I am wondering if anyone else can shed some light on. I know I have a short and know how frustrating they can be. The previous owner replaced the alternator just before I bought the truck (this may be relevant, so I figured I'd mention that). I replaced the battery 5-6 weeks ago because the last one died (not to mention it was way to big to fit totally on the battery tray, and it was held in with a bungee cord and looked like they found it in a junk yard. Then I started the truck last week after it had been sitting a week or two. It sounded like it was a bit slow to start, but I figured it was since it had been sitting for a bit. I drove it about 5 miles to my destination. When I came out the battery was dead and the truck would only "click" when trying to start the truck. I got a jump and began to drive home; after about 4 miles I was driving at 50 mph and everything electrical in the truck INSTANTLY died as well as the engine. After that nothing electrical would respond. After about 15-20 minutes it went back to "clicking" when the key was turned. The weird thing was that I could hear the fuel pump running the ENTIRE time (except when the key was being held in the "start" position); even when I turned the ignition off and removed the key the fuel pump would keep running, so I disconnected the positive lead from the battery. After being towed the last mile back home, I began to look closely at the wires under the hood. I taped up 5 or 6 wires that had copper showing and could have shorted to something; and charged the battery, fastened it in better than a bungee cord and put some insulator caps on the battery posts since the previous owner switched it to a top post battery (just incase it was arcing to the hood or top radiator cross member). I also fixed a wire that the previous owner had tried to fix but the butt connector came right off with a slight bump. This was a wire that connects to the top of the alternator. The connector that has 3 wires, but only one is used. The truck started fine but I have only had a chance to drive it a hundred yards or so. Long story short, I have fixed what I could see, but does the fuel pump running constantly like that sound familiar to anyone? Would that symptom narrow the cause to something I have not yet thought about? Question #4: Does anyone make something like a floor pan / floor board liner or insert that can be glued in to seal rust holes? Sorry to be long winded, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. If anyone knows any of these answers, I would greatly appreciate it (especially questions 3 and 1).

I am not all that familiar with the electrical system for that year truck. I would be interested to see if there is a fuel pump relay. If there is you might want to check it. It may be stuck closed.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

too-mashed-together...
    if your looking for parts try Classic Industries and LMC and Shop Classic Truck Parts and google
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....