GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Mechanic

Right from my 2010 1500s owners manual 140ft/lbs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010_chevrolet_silverado_owners 571.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	51653

You are good with 120-140ftlbs on the wheels and for the drain plug i just go snug plus a little more. as for using Air tools on wheels you can use them on alloy wheels or steel and if done correctly with the proper sockets and torque sticks you should have no problem removing the lug nuts with hand tools. I do it on my truck at the shop all the time and have no problem removing them with a breaker bar or a longer 1/2in ratchet

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Jr. Mechanic

our biggest problem is service managers were never wrench turners,just quick on the keyboard to keep the money flowing!i owned a garage for quite a while and fixed many a problem from them,i.e. retorqeing wheels to clear up warped rotors,thank god for the help rack for oversized drain plugs,they have the diagnostic ability with g.m.,ill leave it at that!

drain plugs shpuld never be put on with an impact! i have done wheel lug nuts with a impact to take them off, then back on, but i use the lowest air settting just to get them started, then i get the torque qrench out and torque to 135....

never had an issue.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

alright for all the Impact haters out their this is what i use(not same brand) I have never had a problem with wheels coming off or being overly tight, i have even checked them against a torque wrench and have always been withing 2-3 ftlbs using the highest setting on my impact

http://www.tooltopia.com/genius-tool-to405ext.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by nickgiacalone View Post
    I third the 120 ft/lb of torque on the lug nuts for a 1500. The specs on my last truck (2500HD) was 140 ft/ lb
    I guess that I will be torquing them to 120 from now on.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12