GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I wish I could get ethanol free but I live in the great state of Commiefornia (ok there are like 4 stations but they are 600+ miles north of my location).

I also use TC-W3 like @blackburb and 87 octane
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I wish I could get ethanol free but I live in the great state of Commiefornia (ok there are like 4 stations but they are 600+ miles north of my location).

I also use TC-W3 like @blackburb and 87 octane
    TC-W3 is a specification for 2-cycle oil. The engine in my truck is a 4 stroke engine not requiring oil to be mixed with the gas. This sounds absolutely preposterous to use 2 cycle oil in a 4 stroke engine.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    TC-W3 is a specification for 2-cycle oil. The engine in my truck is a 4 stroke engine not requiring oil to be mixed with the gas. This sounds absolutely preposterous to use 2 cycle oil in a 4 stroke engine.
    I agree with you! I was also pretty skeptical about it. I started running it with a 1 ounce to 5 gallon ratio 3 tanks ago. My idle has smoothed out significantly. It was enough that my wife asked what I had done to the truck because she always commented on the rough idle. I drive the same routes and fill up at the same gas station every time. I have noticed an increase in my city mpg from 16.6mpg to 17.5 mpg over the last 3 tanks. I am sure that some other factors contributed to this like wind and temperature. So far it has worked for me. My truck has 150,000 miles on it and had 136,000 when I bought it. I always hated the way it idled. As of now I am happy with the results. If something changes I will be sure to let everyone know.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

you do it at a 1 oz per 5gallon mix so not like its a 20:1 ratio (its actually a 640:1 ratio). So its a small amount and adds detergents to the gas. Been using it for a few years now, pulled my injectors a little while back when I had to replace something and they were nice and clean at close to 100k miles (at that time). Its also a premium ashless marine formula (the tc-w3 not just any 2 stroke oil). But as with any additive, detergent etc, could it all be snake oil? Sure it could.

I was unaware that 2-cycle oil contained detergents. If 2 cycle oil does contain detergents, then it probably cleaned out @Pikey and @dsfloyd fuel injectors. Would not Lucas fuel treatment have done the same thing?

I am not super well versed on the subject. But, I do not think that the lucas has lubricating properties like the Tc-w3 does. Again, I could be wrong. All I know is that I have run seafoam, lucas, and multiple other "fuel system cleaners" thru my tank and never had results like I have this time. I am happy to see a little added mpg, I am most happy about the smooth idle.

@Pikey, I'm sitting here shaking my head, but I'm going to try it. I have a little hang on my throttle, I lift my foot to come to a stop and the drive by wire won't let the rpms drop off like they use to, I'm thinking a dirty throttle body and I was going to pull it and clean it. This might be a good test.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I was unaware that 2-cycle oil contained detergents. If 2 cycle oil does contain detergents, then it probably cleaned out @Pikey and @dsfloyd fuel injectors. Would not Lucas fuel treatment have done the same thing?

Yes lucas would do it to, but when a 1 gallon bottle of TC-W3 can be had for $15-20 and you use 3-4 ounces a fill its much cheaper.

Also you want to make sure that it is the TC-W3 marine and not just standard 2 stroke oil

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Yes lucas would do it to, but when a 1 gallon bottle of TC-W3 can be had for $15-20 and you use 3-4 ounces a fill its much cheaper.

Also you want to make sure that it is the TC-W3 marine and not just standard 2 stroke oil
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Actually several. As I mentioned earlier, the 2-stroke oil additive is much, much cheaper than "specialty" additives. As far as data, you need to go back to the LS1 forum link I gave before. A substantial amount of real world testing has been done on this, and the results are always positive. Maybe a little boost in mpg, but always cleaner plugs, injectors and entire fuel system. Those guys are certified car nuts who put the time and effort into trying numerous different products in their personal vehicles over quite a long time. They have no vested interest and no monetary gain from endorsing the product they found to work. I will believe them and their results (which I'm glad to see members here are confirming) over the marketing drivel that's slapped on the bottles that sit on store shelves.

'01 K2500 496 big block It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    @Pikey, I'm sitting here shaking my head, but I'm going to try it. I have a little hang on my throttle, I lift my foot to come to a stop and the drive by wire won't let the rpms drop off like they use to, I'm thinking a dirty throttle body and I was going to pull it and clean it. This might be a good test.
    The throttle body will not be cleaned with this method, just injectors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast