GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    The throttle body will not be cleaned with this method, just injectors.
    Of course it won't, what was I drinking? Thanks @Pikey.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Former Member

I've noted this...

The 2012 runs fine on 87 in the summer, except it seems to surge at really low RPM (like just before the trans downshifts). Running 89 in the summer eliminates the low RPM surging. I see absolutely no difference in mileage. It runs fine on 87 in the winter, so I attribute it to winter/summer blend gasolines. My game plan is to run 87 when the truck is a grocery getter, and run 89 when I intend to tow anything.

Now in my old POS Subaru Outback, if I run 87 it gets about 22mpg and runs blah, but it I run 89 it gets about 25mpg and feels better. The difference in the cost is probably a wash since the more expense 89 nets me better mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Not necessarily true. Wind makes a huge difference when you are driving something with the aerodynamic properties of a cinder block, like like our trucks ... and you didn't mention wind direction or speed in either case.

I've actually noticed substantive (1-3) mpg losses in 20-40 mph winds when I'm running against them. So, you'd really need to repeat that round trip (using the same fill-up points on each end, same driving techniques, same traffic conditions, etc.) multiple times. Once done, average across it and toss out any obvious outliers to get a solid feel for what could be expected in the real world.

Why? Your one round-trip run might, itself, be an outlier...

In my last truck, a 2004.5 Dodge Cummins, 2500, 4wd, 4.10s...with a great tail wind (probably in excess of 55mph sustained at times), I netted back to back tanks heading west across the northern tier (ie. North Dakota, et al) of over 28mpg hand calculated. On the return trip, I netted a best of 16mpg bucking a similar wind. Having that tailwind was kind of cool...when it matched the trucks speed, things get really quiet because all the wind noise stops! I had a system down on that truck, so that I "filled up" the same each and every time...I was within an ounce or two each time, so I know my hand calc'd number were dead on.

While gasoline quality can affect mileage (diesel fuel too), there are too many variables for a "one tank" comparison. Even going from winter blend to summer blend makes my mileage change...same brand fuel, same grade of gas, drastically different mileages.

87 Octane here, and I'll run some RXP additive through about every 5th tankfull or so to keep everything cleaned out.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Ethanol free 91 octane. Oh yes, $3.99/gallon vs $3.49 for 87 ethanol or $3.89 for 92 ethanol fuel. I average maybe 12 mpg on 92 octane ethanol fuel. I found a few places with ethanol free fuel, happens to be 91 octane. I average over 14 mpg so far. Go ahead, calculate it. I am actually saving money. I've heard of 8 mpg better with some vehicles. My 6.0l in the Burb runs smother and a hair more power.
    Ethanol free gas lasts longer (chain saw, lawn mower). Stuff that sits for periods of time. I replaced a $40 fuel pump in lawn tractor due to ethanol eating diaphram and fuel lines. This stuff is junk.
    I'm sticking with what I found, it works. Good luck to those 87 ethanol people. Sorry
    2003 Suburban 2500 LT, 6.0l Volant cai. 3.73 gear. Mobil 1 syn oil

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus A. View Post
    Ethanol free 91 octane. Oh yes, $3.99/gallon vs $3.49 for 87 ethanol or $3.89 for 92 ethanol fuel. I average maybe 12 mpg on 92 octane ethanol fuel. I found a few places with ethanol free fuel, happens to be 91 octane. I average over 14 mpg so far. Go ahead, calculate it. I am actually saving money. I've heard of 8 mpg better with some vehicles. My 6.0l in the Burb runs smother and a hair more power.
    Ethanol free gas lasts longer (chain saw, lawn mower). Stuff that sits for periods of time. I replaced a $40 fuel pump in lawn tractor due to ethanol eating diaphram and fuel lines. This stuff is junk.
    I'm sticking with what I found, it works. Good luck to those 87 ethanol people. Sorry
    Stations that carry ethanol free gas are pretty far away from me.

As far as 91 or better octane being the holy grail, I have ran a couple of tanks of 93 in my Silverado with virtually no difference in fuel economy. So for me, running premium fuel would be a waste of time and money.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Sr. Apprentice

octane gas is a standard measure of the performance of a motor or aviation fuel.octane is available in various form RON(Research Octane Number ),MON(Motor Octane Number) is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load, as it is determined at 900 rpm engine speed, instead of the 600 rpm for RON.Use of gasoline with lower octane numbers may lead to the problem of engine knocking.so AKI is a mixture of RON & MON helps to remove the knocking problem.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234