GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Mechanic

I switched to 89 pure gas about 2 months ago and I can definitely feel and difference. I don't think there was much of an mpg increase but the engine runs "stronger" and smoother. I won't be going back. I do the same with my boat only pure gas goes in it.
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT 6.0L 4x4
    UWS Low Profile toolbox 10% tint front and over stock back tint
    AirAid MIT and K&N airfilter
    BlackBear Performance

I dropped regular gas and moved to JP-7 for my engine. JP-7 burns hotter, cleaner and gives me better mileage.

just a tidbit of information on octane ratings.... octane ratings are deceiving. the higher the octane rating of fuel... the lower evaporative properties of the fuel. This is to decrease the chance of predetination of fuel in high compression/performance engines... due to higher heat etc. during compression cycle which can ignite the fuel prematurely causing engine knock... and possible engine damage. Its also advantageous to use higher octane fuel when pulling heavy loads... ))
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Not necessarily true. Wind makes a huge difference when you are driving something with the aerodynamic properties of a cinder block, like like our trucks ... and you didn't mention wind direction or speed in either case...
    Good point, the wind is a big factor. The other thing that I can not control, at this time of the year, is winter/summer blends and the amount of alcohol in the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra11 View Post
    I switched to 89 pure gas about 2 months ago and I can definitely feel and difference. I don't think there was much of an mpg increase but the engine runs "stronger" and smoother. I won't be going back. I do the same with my boat only pure gas goes in it.
    I agree completely. sometimes moving up a little will smooth a rough running engine. The problem is usually spark knock and the PCM adjusting the spark to try and stop the knocking.

Most times, this can be fixed by using a different fuel brand and staying at 87.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
    With the exception of my kids cars (old, high mileage, and hand-me-downs) I run premium in all my vehicles. Its not so much for any higher mileage, even though a few of my cars do get a small bump of 2-3mpg with it, as it is for the added cleaners and what not. On top of the grade of gas, I also try to use specific brands so the blends are fairly consistent. My #1 is Shell, #2 is BP, #3 is Sunoco...past that its almost always going to be I'm in the middle of nowhere and need something or I'll be walking.
    You are wasting your money on running premium in a regular unleaded engine.

I run a custom Diablew tune that is tweaked to maximize mpg on 87 octane, so that's what I run. I buy 87 octane pure gasoline (as opposed "ethanol-enriched" gasoline that contains "up to 10% ethanol") any time I can get it ... and am of the opinion that THAT (pure gasoline instead of 'ethanol-enriched' gasoline) makes a more substantive difference than gas grade, these days.
    Agree, gasoline contains more energy than alcohol. My problem is there are no ethanol free service stations around my area, and the ones that are only use premium unleaded.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra11 View Post
    That is in your head. People feel the need to justify their additional expense and their mind fabricates things. Sorry if I offended you, but a friend of mine is a psychologist.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    You are wasting your money on running premium in a regular unleaded engine.

Agree, gasoline contains more energy than alcohol. My problem is there are no ethanol free service stations around my area, and the ones that are only use premium unleaded.

That is in your head. People feel the need to justify their additional expense and their mind fabricates things. Sorry if I offended you, but a friend of mine is a psychologist.
    How do you know he is not gaining any benefit? Maybe his engine is in need of a tune up... timing may be advanced or even carbon build up (older engine) causing predetonation or other issue the 89 octane fuel is compensating for. Sorry but it annoys me when people just throw your wasting you money on other fuel grades when their are circumstances when people will benefit.

I run a custom Diablew tune that is tweaked to maximize mpg on 87 octane, so that's what I run. I buy 87 octane pure gasoline (as opposed "ethanol-enriched" gasoline that contains "up to 10% ethanol") any time I can get it ... and am of the opinion that THAT (pure gasoline instead of 'ethanol-enriched' gasoline) makes a more substantive difference than gas grade, these days.
    I agree 100%. I run ethanol free as much as I can in every ice I own. Regular or premium, I don't care. I'll pay the "premium" price to get the ethanol free. Great website on ethanol free stations: http://pure-gas.org/

I also run this "additive": http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

'01 K2500 496 big block It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

Quote Originally Posted by blackburb View Post
    This is an old controversy, I saw a lot of words on your reference, but no data to support the claims.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    This is an old controversy, I saw a lot of words on your reference, but no data to support the claims.
    There's no data to support the dozens of additives on the shelves of the parts stores either and they're a hell of lot more expensive. FTC sued Zmax over 10 years ago for claims they couldn't substantiate. They still got Carroll Shelby to pitch their crap. Lost all respect for the man when he did that.

There's no data to support the dozens of additives on the shelves of the parts stores either and they're a hell of lot more expensive. FTC sued Zmax over 10 years ago for claims they couldn't substantiate. They still got Carroll Shelby to pitch their crap. Lost all respect for the man when he did that.
    You sound like your agreeing with me, yet you use an unproven "additive"

I also run this "additive":
    The refiners could produce gasoline with a little more "oil" (heavy distillates). The gasoline of old is refined to remove all lower scale products. This is a more expensive process. Yes, it is done to meet EPA requirements, but it must also meet engine specs.