GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Smile Overall honest opinion on Express 3500 6.0

Hello everyone,
    Now that I've started a family, a bigger vehicle is needed. I have a 2 door Camry and the wife has a Rav4 CUV. I've been thinking of a minivan, but they are just way way overpriced. I definitely can't afford a new one since a decently equipped new van starts around $28,000.

I too looked for used Toyotas and Hondas and a 4 year old with at least 60,000 miles still sell for about $20,000.

For the heck of it I looked at Chevy Express (12 passenger only). I know a minivan is overkill for 2 kids and a German Shepherd, but a CUV or sedan/wagon is just too darn small specially when making Costco trips.

I started thinking about an Express 3500 6.0 since they're fairly cheap. I can find a one year old former rental/fleet with 13,000 miles for as little as $20,000. These vans are about $34,000 new so the $14,000 price reduction with only 13K miles is quite a bargain.

From what I've seen, they're rated at 11mpg city and 15hwy. However, when I looked thru various message boards, I can see people getting 15city/20hwy from the 3500 with the 6.0 I have driven a Toyota Sienna with the 3.0 V6 and I was getting 17mpg city. So if the 15mpg city claim is legit, I don't mind taking a 2mpg hit on a larger van with gobs more power and space.

I've also driven a U-Haul with the 3500 front end with a 6.0L and got 14mpg mixed.

I'd like to know what you guys are getting.

My other vehicle in mind is a Suburban or Tahoe. However, since many people (despite high gas prices) are still in the SUV craze, they do not sell as low as an Express van. I'd be lucky to see a 1 year old Suburban with 13,000 miles for a hair below $30,000.

This won't really be my daily driver since I'll still keep my 2dr Camry (that gets 25 city and 30hwy). I just want a family vehicle that will protect the folks inside and have the ability to haul stuff and tow other junk in the future.

In a nutshell, are 3500 6.0L express good vehicles for the price.

My last question is that since the engine is well inside the firewall, how are they to work on. The biggest job I've done on a car is head, fuel/oil pumps, cooling, starter, alternator work... are the Express/Savanna a pain in the arse to work on?

Thanks again guys. I'd appreciate your honest feedback.

I recently went thru the same dilemma. I have 2 kids, another on the way and 2 large dogs. I looked around and considered the van. I just did not want to end up driving a 12 passenger van with 5 people in it. So I ended up with a Yukon XL. We also purchased a new vehicle for my wife a few months ago. After tons of research we ended up with a new 2013 dodge caravan for $24,000 with a LIFETIME bumper to bumper warranty. Plenty of room for the 3 kids, 2 dogs, and all of our luggage on road trips. I would suggest going and test driving each of the vehicles that you are considering. Take them to crowded parking lots and drive them around, park them. Try fitting them in your garage(if you have one). I can not speak for how hard it is to work on the savanna. I did a lot of work on a sierra minivan, it was not all that bad. Just pull the dog house from the inside and I had plenty of room. I am sure that some folks with the savanna with come along soon.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I guess if I remove the big rear bench it'll only be an 8 passenger.

I thought about the Caravan and it's a nice package overall. The Stow and Go seats is a catch 22 for me. I love the concept and its utility. However, it doesn't provide much comfort, at least according to my bottom. Could use more padding.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySantos View Post
    I guess if I remove the big rear bench it'll only be an 8 passenger.

I thought about the Caravan and it's a nice package overall. The Stow and Go seats is a catch 22 for me. I love the concept and its utility. However, it doesn't provide much comfort, at least according to my bottom. Could use more padding.
    We tried the leather and the cloth seats, they are the same price. The leather was hard. Our cloth seats are not all that bad. I sat in one for a 3 hour trip and it was fine. It is nice that each captains chair recline, have arm rests, and are adjustable back and forth.