GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default what do you think?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+KM2&code=yes&

im thinking of slapping these on my 1.5" lifted 2002 silverado. what your opinion of them. ill be hitting up some mud, snow, clay, asphalt, and pretty much everything else. its a daily driver on asphalt; just looking for opinions/ facts/ or any input you can give, thanks in advance.

I know plenty of people that have them, mostly on jeeps. They are loud and from what I have been told they don't wear all that well. I would look at something like @SurrealOne has, the nitto trail grabbers. They seem like they would not be as loud as the mud terrains, you would get you a better highway ride, and possibly better mpg. Personally, I like loud! I ran 38.5" mickey thompsom baja claws. At 70mph on the freeway you could barely hold a conversation in the truck, those may have been a littlr too loud.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

MT's tend to be noisy, wear poorly, and hurt MPG on asphalt. Thus, I wouldn't recommend them for a daily driver unless your daily driving is almost entirely on rock, mud, or trails. There are some great all terrains out there, but they may not be aggressive enough for those times you're off-road. That's exactly why I have Nitto Trail Grapplers. They're somewhere between an AT and a MT. My usage is as a daily driver 5-6 days per week ... and off-road 1-2 days per week as I drive through farm fields, down logging roads, down back country roads with little to no rock, etc -- in seach of a patch of land to make my own.

The Trail Grapplers are more aggressive than an AT ... but not as aggressive as a MT -- which reduces the highway noise and MPG compared to a MT ... and improves wear characteristics on asphalt. I've got 18,000 miles on mine and more than half the tread left (and no cupping to speak of), so I expect to get 45,000-50,000 miles out of them. Keep in mind, though, that I regularly adjust my pressure for changes in weather conditions and I rotate my tires at EVERY oil change -- specifically to avoid cupping, because once it starts there's no going back ... and it'll drive the life of the tires downhill, quickly. (As a general rule ... the more aggressive the tire is the more maintenance you will have to do if you want to maximize the tire life.)

I'm not trying to sell you on the Trail Grapplers. Rather, I'm trying to suggest you should look at your usage/needs, the life expectancy you want out of the tires you buy, your budget, and your willingness to maintain the tires (checking pressure often, doing rotations regularly, etc.) ... and choose what you buy based on those things.

Don't forget to match a spare to what you buy if you upsize your tires ... OR ... if you are ok with having no usable spare, just remove the OEM spare, since it'll be unusable dead weight (that hurts your MPG due to weight) if it's not matched to the overall diameter of your daily driving tires.

Blog Entries

oh yeah,,,,,,,,,awesome rubber baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Dick Cepek Mud Country! A lot more, than Nitto but $$ well spent, not to Loud and Great Looks + LONGEVITY! No wandering, excellent "Grip" wet and dry. I don't ditch my "Truck" but have Pulled Trough any obstacle thus far! Twice the Mileage and Less than Twice the $$$ JMO!!!!!!!!!!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

My buddy claims he got 60k out of his KM2s. I'm gunna wait on more reviews before I try them out. I'm not sure if loud matters to you but I have the Coopers Stt and I love them no matter what I'm driving on. Mud dirt gravel or asphalt. I got 55k miles out of my last set and the set I have on now seems to be wearing even better. I guess the older I've gotten the less lead is in my foot
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Dick Cepek Mud Country! A lot more, than Nitto but $$ well spent, not to Loud and Great Looks + LONGEVITY! No wandering, excellent "Grip" wet and dry. I don't ditch my "Truck" but have Pulled Trough any obstacle thus far! Twice the Mileage and Less than Twice the $$$ JMO!!!!!!!!!!
    I ran 36' dick cepek fun country radials. Those were nice tires. I never had an issue is mud with them

I run Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck they are quiet and get great life. Never gave me any problems.

thanks so much everybody, youve given me lot to think about. im going to to do some looking into the nitto grapplers. again many thanks to everyone.