GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    @rileyjr16. let me know when u get back. i make it up towards NOB fairly often. meet ya for lunch or something one day. take ya out to hooters.

Alex
    Rog that Alex. I'm lookin at being back off of leave on the 20th. I'll be home July 1st and easing on back up that way with my truck on the 16th so definately. Stopped off in Portugal for a bit. Be home (me) I'm a little over a week. We change commands on the 17-19 so... Fast cruise... Yay! Not

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Stay safe out there, really appreciate you stepping up and giving some years to the Navy.

The Navy's got a special place in my heart, both of my grandfathers had something to do with the Navy. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I think the navy needs to be talked up from time to time.

My Dad's Dad (Grandpa George) worked in the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard as a master shipfitter. He was "drafted to his job" during WWII and spent his time during the war finding better and faster ways to get commercial ships turned into Navy ships.

For example, the Navy was getting all these merchant marine vessels and their doors open backwards compared to navy ships. So they were torch-cutting the hinges off all of the doors, then flipping the door around and making new hinges. At a big production meeting he offered up the suggestion, "why don't we just cut a big hole in the metal around the door and just flip the whole thing around and not mess with the hinges?" I think they gave him a promotion and a bottle of brandy for cutting the process down about 80%.

My Mom's Dad (Grandpa Bob) graduated college in June 1942 and went immediately to the Naval Academy to become a pilot (where they made him play football for another year actually - that ticked him off as he was technically drafted by the Steelers, but anyhow...) and he eventually became a dive bomber then they gave him a Hellcat. He shot down a zero in his dive bomber so they made him a fighter pilot.

He had 6 air-to-air kills, had to ditch a couple of times in the Pacific, was awarded the Navy Flying Cross and ended up as a flight trainer on the old abandoned Moses Lake Navy flight training center in the middle of Washington State.

More recently, my brother (David) did 10-years as an air traffic controller before he made the jump to the FAA, I've got a cousin (Robert) who's going for 20-years, he just made Senior Chief Petty Officer (I forget where he's at now ...) and one of my best friends (Patrick) made it through nuke school and did some sub-time before he got picked up for ROTC and ended up working in navy hospitals for another few years.

Not surprising, but we've been doing a lot of genealogy over the last few years and one side of the family has been into sailing, ship building and merchant marine ship owners for hundreds of years ... all the way back to the Mayflower and early Massachusetts settlers in the 1600's.

Unfortunately, I was in a bad accident in high school so they wouldn't let me join any of the armed forces. I tried and they told me to go home.

Anyhow, GO NAVY.

Thanks, for letting me rant on this subject for just a few minutes.
    Last edited by Steve; 06-21-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: edit WWII not WWI

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

3. Thanks Drake_korthos thanked for this post
    Likes Drake_korthos liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Stay safe out there, really appreciate you stepping up and giving some years to the Navy.

The Navy's got a special place in my heart, both of my grandfathers had something to do with the Navy. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I think the navy needs to be talked up from time to time.

My Dad's Dad (Grandpa George) worked in the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard as a master shipfitter. He was "drafted to his job" during WWI and spent his time during the war finding better and faster ways to get commercial ships turned into Navy ships.

For example, the Navy was getting all these merchant marine vessels and their doors open backwards compared to navy ships. So they were torch-cutting the hinges off all of the doors, then flipping the door around and making new hinges. At a big production meeting he offered up the suggestion, "why don't we just cut a big hole in the metal around the door and just flip the whole thing around and not mess with the hinges?" I think they gave him a promotion and a bottle of brandy for cutting the process down about 80%.

My Mom's Dad (Grandpa Bob) graduated college in June 1942 and went immediately to the Naval Academy to become a pilot (where they made him play football for another year actually - that ticked him off as he was technically drafted by the Steelers, but anyhow...) and he eventually became a dive bomber then they gave him a Hellcat. He shot down a zero in his dive bomber so they made him a fighter pilot.

He had 6 air-to-air kills, had to ditch a couple of times in the Pacific, was awarded the Navy Flying Cross and ended up as a flight trainer on the old abandoned Moses Lake Navy flight training center in the middle of Washington State.

More recently, my brother (David) did 10-years as an air traffic controller before he made the jump to the FAA, I've got a cousin (Robert) who's going for 20-years, he just made Senior Chief Petty Officer (I forget where he's at now ...) and one of my best friends (Patrick) made it through nuke school and did some sub-time before he got picked up for ROTC and ended up working in navy hospitals for another few years.

Not surprising, but we've been doing a lot of genealogy over the last few years and one side of the family has been into sailing, ship building and merchant marine ship owners for hundreds of years ... all the way back to the Mayflower and early Massachusetts settlers in the 1600's.

Unfortunately, I was in a bad accident in high school so they wouldn't let me join any of the armed forces. I tried and they told me to go home.

Anyhow, GO NAVY.

Thanks, for letting me rant on this subject for just a few minutes.
    hey not a problem! Can't wait to be in constant 3G and wifi so I can get on regularly again

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment

5. Likes Steve liked this post

Well it's my last day in Portugal. After this, I'll be home in about a week and working on my truck some. She's got some problems. She got a new transfer case, hood, hood hinges, tailgate and bumper. So my brother has been working on her for me but I'll do some too when I'm home. Planning on takin her back up to Norfolk starting on the 16th. Be on the lookout for a help me post lol

i be on regularly again soon to comment and help people.

PEACE

Current:
    Future:

Hey there shipmate (I know I know, I cursed at ya! you'll be ok. First round will be on me if yer ever round my neck of the woods), first off THANK YOU for your service! I know it's a bit late now, but congrats on Airman and it doesn't hurt to study early for the E-4 exam! Take yer time with yer ride, she'll see you through thick and thin during your career! Oh and a little friendly advice from another sailor: when you hit a foreign port, SIGN UP FOR AS MANY TOURS AS YOU CAN!!!!! you can hit up the bars after the tours! As much fun as I had, that's prolly my only real regret from my ship time! lots of tours, lots of pictures, and lots of drinkin afterwords LOL . Thanks again, and keep yer head on swivel out there!

Josh
    USN Vet
    AG2(AW)

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Congrats sir and thank you for your service!
    Chuckie!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12