GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default safe towing with a 4.8

i have a 2010 CC with a 4.8 and 3.42 gears we are looking at buying a Travel trailer that around 4700lbs dry weight am i asking for trouble or should that be safe ? i have a trailer tow package , if that helps

The truck will handle weight, it wont be the fastest taking off and might be a little slow in mountains/hills and on grades.
    Is your truck 2wd or 4wd?
    Id recommend cooling upgrades for the trans and possibly a gear change.

its a 4x4 crew cab , it says the max i can tow is 5500 so am wondering with gear and kids am i cutting it close, i can do a coolin upgrade but gears are not in th budget right now, o u think i will be real sluggish

Yea youll be cutting it close but if you watch closely how you load it and use a load levelor/sway control kit I think its doable.
    Maybe wait till you get close to your destination before getting grocereys and filling thewater tanks, make sure if possible you drain grey and black water tanks before traveling.
    And teach every one to pack on the light side.
    Yea a 4x4 would be expensive to change gears, frt and rr $$$.
    Just keep in mind when traveling your truck requires a little more distance to get up to speed and isnt the fastest.

Welcome to the site...

Open the door of your truck and look at a silver sticker(I think its silver) and you will see GVWR, as well as some specific max weights for your truck. in the Owners Manual you will see a GCWR.

GVWR: The most the truck can weigh with you and all passengers fuel and the loaded trailer connected
    Rear/Front GAWR: the most each axle can weigh with you and all passengers fuel and the loaded trailer connected
    GCWR: The maximum the truck and trailer can weigh with you and all passengers fuel and the loaded trailer connected

Once you have those #s you need to know the actual weight of your truck and tongue weight of your trailer. Never exceed any of the values above. As long as you stay under you will be fine. If you are close to those values you may not enjoy the off the line performance or stopping. remember they engineer safety margins in, not so that you can exceed the listed values but so that you can safely operate your truck at the #s.
    Last edited by jake's silverado; 04-27-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: add the last paragraph...
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

I've got a 22 Ft Jayco and my 5.3 dose fine but I'm 3800 curb weight. It pulls up hills with a full load very well. I think you may find loaded your truck will be working its guts out to move your full load out. You'll see just how quick the gear, food and people add up. I think you have three options, first if you have the option to get a lighter model do it. I don't know your likes or needs but I required a full hardside that slept four. I don't like highbred, the canvas to me is a weak point. Eventfully leaks, is an easy entry point for animals and it dry rots from storage. We went with a Jayco swift, light, hardside and it featured all the comforts and the floor plan was near perfect for us.

Second would be to closely monitor the weight of your gear and food, it adds up quick including people. Save weight whereever you can. Leveling bars will level the load and balance the weight but dose not subtract the weight. To often people get a false sense of the weight they are hauling because it looks fine and sits level. The tow haul package helps with engine braking but I've driven the 4.8 and its a little sluggish when the bed is loaded.

Third, the last resort is to look into a new vehicle with the capability you need to haul the trailer you need. Re gearing was one option mentioned which is cheaper than a new truck, but now your putting $1,500 plus at the least into your truck. A machine never meant to be put under that kind of stress. Winding that motor up on long trips for prolonged distance to pull at it's max towing capacity, something has got to give; it might be that 4.8 liter. It's like putting a band aid on situation and very expensive one at that.
    I am a American solder, I am a member of the finest fight force on earth, I am the bump in the night. I will defend the United states of American Against all enemies both foreign and domestic. Repent now all those who would do my nation and it's people harm; For when we come it will be too late.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE, Z71 with 5.3 l and max tow/haul package

4.8 does fine towing heavy loads, a little sluggish but does fine. I tow around a 85 K5 on a steel trailer just fine. but i also have 3.73 gears so that helps.

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

I think you would be fine. You'll be sluggish, like everyone said. Definitely get an upgraded tranny fluid cooler. It also wouldn't hurt to throw some power adders on there. My towing got a lot easier when I added my K&N intake.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.