GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aluminum Diff. covers

I want one for my truck.
    preferably "finned" to help with cooling, but so long as it increases the oil capasity, i dont really care.

Summit has some... but theyre almost $200 and it says nothing about extra capasity for cooling aid, and they dont have fins.
    where did any of you get yours at? I just got a dinky 10 bolt right now, so it works really hard under this big truck. it actually burns out oil if you can believe that. so i want to take care of it, and my posi unit.

thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

this is the cheapest i could find. dont know how much it holds though....
    http://www.performance4trucks.com/Dr..._pn=G%2fG6082P
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

When I had my regear done I asked about this. Know what the guys at the shop (which basically specializes in gear/diff work) told me? 'We'd be happy to sell you something, but save your money.' I appreciated the honesty, so I asked why -- and they said that for my application, which is daily driver, light weekend-to-weekend off-roading, occasional towing but nothing insanely long or heavy ... I would be buying something for looks, alone, as it'd make no relevant (to my use/application) improvement.

This begs the following question -- what's your application that requires more capacity/cooling? Heavy loads or towing across long distances? Lots of mud time? Up and down mountains all day? Inquiring minds want to know what has you burning out oil in your 10-bolt! (And, perhaps, that's a sign that you might need more truck, not more diff fluid and cooling???)

nevermind!
    ebay
    saved about $100
    lol

its just a 5,000 lb old truck.... i drive it everywhere both on and off road.
    it should have a 12 bolt cause the little 8.5 rear gears just spin like crazy with the oversized tires and heavy weight... transmission also evaporates oil.
    its just a gear/ torque machine! lol

Are you running factory 3.42/3.72 gears because that would explain why you're having problems. You need a higher ratio.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

You might want to look into a tranny cooler!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

i think i have 3:55 gears.... i thought they were 3.73 but i guess ill count it when i change the cover.

I have a manual transmission, so no oil cooler possible X) lol

Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post

I have a manual transmission, so no oil cooler possible X) lol
    Thats not true they make manual tranny coolers. I suggest getting one. They come as kits with a pump and cooler + hoses.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

my 1995 had the same axle and a stock 3:42 ratio when I put the 38.5" tires on it. I ran it like that for a year while I saved money for the gear change (I know...I was young and did it backwards) I never had an issue with gear oil "evaporating" from the rear end. I drove it on 5 hour road trips all the time and did some heavy offroading.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

yeah ive decided to not regear or go big on the tires for this truck, thanks to comrad obama's gas prices.

....but all i know is i top it off so it overflows, and about 10,000 miles later its a knucle low in both the diff and the trans *shrugs*
    the truck is heavy and old, id be surprized if it didnt take oil... guess that makes it a hybred
    it burns both oil and gas =) lol

I have never heard of an axle burning oil. There's nothing in the axle that could burn it. Cook the oil to the point it no longer has lubricating properties, yes, but not burn. I'd say your oil is leaking somewhere. It's probably leaking into your drums if it's not obviously coming out of the pinion or cover.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast