GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What Tahoe should i purchase??

Just lost my beloved 1996 Chevy SuburbanLT 4x4 2500 to a blown motor. Im looking to buy a 2003 or 2004 Tahoe z71. What do you guys think?? I have a large sized family so i need at least seating for 6.
    :great:current vehicle-1996 chevy suburban 2500, 4X4(140k miles) 350CI. gas powered.
    retired vehicle-1992 chevy camaro rs 25th anniversary

In my opinion you would be disappointed going from the suburban to the tahoe. I drove a tahoe for a few days while my yukon xl was in the shop. I really missed all the room behind the third row. If you decide to go with a tahoe, there will not be much difference between a 2004 and 2003. Personally, I would not spend money on the z71 package. Really all you get is different shocks, different tires, some skid plates and some badging. I avoided the z71 packages when looking for a new Suburban or Yukon Xl, as it seemed like people thought that they should get a premium price for them. The 2005 yukon xl I bought has the same skid plate package as the Z71. It had 132,000 on it when I bought it. So, I was going to change the shocks and tires out anyway.
    Last edited by Pikey; 04-29-2013 at 01:30 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    In my opinion you would be disappointed going from the suburban to the tahoe. I drove a tahoe for a few days while my yukon xl was in the shop. I really missed all the room behind the third row. If you decide to go with a tahoe, there will not be much difference between a 2004 and 2003. Personally, I would not spend money on the z71 package. Really all you get is different shocks, different tires, some skid plates and some badging. I avoided the z71 packages when looking for a new Suburban or Yukon Xl, as it seemed like people thought that they should get a premium price for them. The 2005 yukon xl I bought has the same skid plate package as the Z71. It had 132,000 on it when I bought it. So, I was going to change the shocks and tires out anyway.
    Seriously, the only way to tell if you're in a Tahoe or a Suburban is to turn around. Also Tahoes are easier to park in a garage. I would only go for a Suburban over a Tahoe if I had a bunch of kids AND I needed to haul a lot more items at the same time.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I was just saying that I missed the room behind the 3rd row. Yes, I am sure that they are easier to park, I like the added 2 or 3 ft of cargo room, not having it was odd for me. I load 2 large dogs, 2 kids and all of our crap. They both basically drove the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, back to the question. I would avoid one that has awd vs 4wd. it is personal preference, but I prefer the 4wd. I see 4wd as giving you more option for use. You would have auto 4wd, 4 high, 4 low. That way you have 4 hi for snow/sand usage and 4low in case you decide you want to pull out a tree stump.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Engineer

Hi, I see your 96 only had 140k miles and a 350 motor. How about just putting in a new crate motor?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry you answered my question in another post.

Hello sir I would go to the the suburban even tho I have an 86 but it's a beast and coming from a family of 5 the ex room is awesome when it come to the thing that just come up... Besides parking I'm glad I went to a suburban over a Tahoe first
    as for the for buying a new motor is an awesome idea you may find a combo deal and find a motor and tranny on Craigslist
    As well if you put money into you know what problems it has and doesn't have, unless you want something newer
    Last edited by DamnThatMexican; 04-30-2013 at 08:33 PM.

you guys are awesome!!!! thanks for the input. Forgot to mention My 96 burb had 200k when she conked out. I looked in to a crate motor and a rebuilt and a used. Out of work so cash very limited right now. I could def use the extra room so i think i will go with the suburban. Im going to stay away from the 2500 cause im not hauling anything. My brother has a 2001 yukon and the undercarriage is rusted out. Looks like its 50yrs old. He also had a brake failure while driving. Brake lines rusted out and busted. Is this a problem in 2001??? Should I go with a Chevy or a GMC???
    :great:current vehicle-1996 chevy suburban 2500, 4X4(140k miles) 350CI. gas powered.
    retired vehicle-1992 chevy camaro rs 25th anniversary

It is all personal preference, There may be one or 2 more options available with the GMC (denali specific) like heated second row seats (not available for my 2005 yukon xl non denali). Personally, I would not buy a denali, they only come in 2wd or with AWD. Plus, people (like those with z71) inflate the price because it is a denali. I would just watch for things like if it has autoride or not. Autoride shocks are expensive to replace. I have seen brake lines rust out on an 2005 and a 2000 it is just the luck of the draw. My 2002 had no rust under it while my 2003 was rusty as heck.
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-02-2013 at 01:14 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by beachburb96 View Post
    you guys are awesome!!!! thanks for the input. Forgot to mention My 96 burb had 200k when she conked out. I looked in to a crate motor and a rebuilt and a used. Out of work so cash very limited right now. I could def use the extra room so i think i will go with the suburban. Im going to stay away from the 2500 cause im not hauling anything. My brother has a 2001 yukon and the undercarriage is rusted out. Looks like its 50yrs old. He also had a brake failure while driving. Brake lines rusted out and busted. Is this a problem in 2001??? Should I go with a Chevy or a GMC???
    There is virtually zero difference in a Suburban or Yukon XL from an equipment standpoint. Pick which one you like the looks of better.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Well if yr motor was around 200k then yr tranny is around the same? If you know someone put it in then it may be cheaper if not the get another burb unless you have a lot of stuff all really on it.