GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2006 Colorado head replacement

I have an 06 Colorado with an I5. The check engine light came on and the dealer is having to replace the head. It only has 22000 miles on it, so it should be under warranty, but I am worried. Is this a common issue on the I5? When the warranty dies am I going to have to worry about this happening again? I am wondering if I should be looking for a new truck. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

I'm not all that familiar with the I5, but I have not heard of this being a problem. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

I have a 2004 Colorado with I5 and at 65000 miles had same issues but my warranty had ran out. They wanted $5000.00 to replace the head. I chose not t have it repaired since that was more than 1/3 what the value of the truck. I figured I would drive it until the engine went out and have it modified and put in 383 stoker, it would be cheaper than a new I5. In the meantime I have since gotten a letter from GM stating they have an issue with the heads on the I5 and have extended the warranty to 100,000 miles for this repair only so I am now going to take it in and have it replaced. If anyone else has a Colorado with I5 and have already had it replaced and had to pay you should be able to get a refund from GM.

This was a very common problem in the I5. There is even a special tool to jam in the timing chain during cylinder head replacement to cut down labor time. I do believe that there has been an improvement to the heads now that there is the extended warranty and GM has acknowledged the problem.