GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Looking at a Jimmy for my kid. (???'s)

this is the post-
    3,900 FIRM 1999 gmc jimmy 4 door clean in and out ***{{{ very low mileage }}}*** 88,000 miles Pville TWP only 2 owners . NEW WINTER TIRES-4WD-POWER WINDOWS-CD PLAYER-remote locks-back windows tinted & towing pgk clean NON SMOKER
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	922686_374607305982707_758676419_n.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	51792

What is next to go, on something like this. I want something to last her about 1.5years w/o putting a ton of money into it. I know hard to say but just want to know what is common.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Looks clean.. Hows it run?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I'm going out there on sat to look at it. Since everyone here love Chevy's & GMC's and some have owned for a long time. What should i be looking for. I know all the tricks to see if it was in a crash but what about under and in engine? what are the common thing to go wrong around the millage?

- - - Updated - - -

Im am taking my mechanic with me and he will tell me everything but also he is a die hard Dodge guy and he will be like this will go soon and this and this, so on. If a Dodge it would be a diffident story
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Two of my older sisters had the same year and model, my older brother had an 2008. They all went thru front wheel bearings a few times and both sisters had to have their crank position sensors replaced. The other issue that was present on all of them was the seat handles to recline the front seats. They always broke. Sometimes it was as simple as just replacing the handle, other times the end of the rod sheared off requiring a replacement of the rod. So, if you get it be sure to not be leaning on the seat back when pulling the recline handle. Other than that the only other issues were due to lack of maintenance. One sister kept hers for 2 years and traded it in, the other sister had hers until last year and had well over 250,000 miles on it with no major issues. That sure is an ugly color!!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    That sure is an ugly color!!
    LOL, it is. but it would be her first car. she don't care. She hates driving the truck. She said it is to big. I laugh and say no it is not big enough. She love it before i put the leavening on it. I tell her she is crazy. I added 2.5in. to the front. The thing is. That is all I want to spend on a car for her. The wife wants her to have an SUV. Also I want her to have a GM. I think I heard if the oil pan goes we are screwed?
    Tim Walters (Curky)

why are you screwed? do you have to pull the motor to change it?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

yes,that is what I heard. But how common is it. I know it happened with my mother in laws jimmy.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

I have no idea how common it is. I mean you could also say that you are screwed if the trans blows. It is just a risk you take buying a used car. There are plenty of after market warranty companies that you can buy a warranty for the car thru. For a 1 year power train it would cost around $600

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thank You. Lets see if I get any other hits here before i go
    Tim Walters (Curky)

I say it will be find with such low miles. My 5.7L didn't start leaking from the pan and rear main until 197,500 miles. Now at 199,440 I need to fix a cooler line fitting that is leaking. Other than that mine runs great. But sometimes the first gen Vortec motors end up blowing intake gaskets or having leaking ones which causes coolant to leak into the cylinders. The fix is easy just a pain in the butt.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast