GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best All Terrain Tires

Hey guys... I'm trying to decide what set of tires I should get next. I have read many reviews and threads about all terrain tires, but I want your updated opinions.
    I currently have BF Goodrich a/t KOs, but I'm wondering what else is best out there. I'm mostly driving on the road, but on some weekends I like to get in the mud. What would be the best tires in your opinion for this? I'm also taking the cost of the tires into consideration too. Thanks!

1998 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Z71 Waldoch Conversion

Legend
    Blog Entries

Nice looking truck!!!

I personally would stick with the tires you have now, I had those on my S10 and I loved them. I have Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65/16 on my 2500HD right now, and they suck!! 10 ply heavy tire, plus traction is horrible. Very expensive also, will be replacing with KM2's this summer.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Thanks man!
    Yeah, I've heard km2's are one of the best ways to go. Lately I've come across Goodyear Wrangler Authority's at Walmart for only $148 each? Anybody have an opinion on these tires? They look pretty aggressive. Keep in mind I mostly drive around town, but go through some mud on the weekends.

I run a set of kumho road venture at on my 95 tahoe. I've had them on for almost a year now. I drive daily to work and have a cabin in the allegheny mountains so weekends are spent hunting and slight off road use. Took the truck to Boone NC on a hunting trip this past fall and they were actually a pretty good ride on the trip. I didn't think the snow traction would be very good but they have performed well and if I ever needed to put it in 4wd I never spun. They clean out well and aren't very noisy. I rotated once and haven't lost a pound in any tire, wearing great. My tire of choice was the bfgoodrich radial all terrain in the past as well as the radial t/a for my cars but price became an issue last year when I needed to get skins on the tahoe and shortly after my wifes expedition. Told her I'd try these out before I put a set on her truck. I was pleased so put a set of kumho road venture apt on hers. Less aggressive tread, very quiet, excellent in the snow but I dont even take that huge beast in the mud but judging by the apt tread pattern I think they would load up.

Not sure if my situation would work for ya (livin in a desert), but I've been a big fan of the BF Goodrich Rugged terrain tires.
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...a/tire-details They're not as aggressive as the A/T KO's, but they're better rated for road use. With flash floods and the reduction in traction sand can have on roads, I wanted something that was decently rated for wet conditions. The Rugged Terrains were them! From roads, to gravel, to sand, and even slick roads I have yet to have a problem with these tires. The cost may be a little high at $180 a tire, but I'm sure you can find em cheaper if ya look around (Wall mart, tire rack etc...). Good hunting!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Personally I like nitto trail grapplers.
    02 Silverado 2500hd|496ci bigblock|Botch fuel pump replacement|True dual Magnaflows|UV-10 Jensen head unit|All four speaker Kickers|Kicker tweeters|10in Kicker sub|250watt Kicker Amp|Volant Cold Airintake|PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer|33in Nitto Trail Grapplers|8000k Hid Halo Lights

I run Yokohama Geolandar AT-S. Great tire on road (low noise, good traction, look 10x better in real life than the pictures online) decent off road (havn't been stuck yet but I blew a sidewall in a small mud puddle. I'm talking a foot of sloppy mud...maybe). I like them but I think I will go with General Grabber AT2 next.

I have the Kumho Road Venture A/T as well. I would never buy them again. The traction on snow and greasy mud (you know the stuff that has lots of water, clay and not much grit) isn't great. On the road they're fine and seem to be wearing well. However, I blew two sidewalls out last summer on the road into our camp. I have to assume it's from hitting rocks with the sidewall. For what it cost to replace those two, I could have bought much better tires in the first place. (they have no road hazard warranty)

'01 K2500 496 big block It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

Quote Originally Posted by blackburb View Post
    I have the Kumho Road Venture A/T as well. I would never buy them again. The traction on snow and greasy mud (you know the stuff that has lots of water, clay and not much grit) isn't great. On the road they're fine and seem to be wearing well. However, I blew two sidewalls out last summer on the road into our camp. I have to assume it's from hitting rocks with the sidewall. For what it cost to replace those two, I could have bought much better tires in the first place. (they have no road hazard warranty)
    Same problem I think I had with mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_korthos View Post
    Not sure if my situation would work for ya (livin in a desert), but I've been a big fan of the BF Goodrich Rugged terrain tires.
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...a/tire-details They're not as aggressive as the A/T KO's, but they're better rated for road use. With flash floods and the reduction in traction sand can have on roads, I wanted something that was decently rated for wet conditions. The Rugged Terrains were them! From roads, to gravel, to sand, and even slick roads I have yet to have a problem with these tires. The cost may be a little high at $180 a tire, but I'm sure you can find em cheaper if ya look around (Wall mart, tire rack etc...). Good hunting!
    THOSE are gonna be my next tires. I have the Cooper equivilant right now and theyre great. I have yet to get stuck and theyre even lighter than my fullsized spare, so i get about 21 MPG on the highway.
    so whoever gets me the better price, in a 275-70-R16 wins, but thats the exact style im sticking with
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast