GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Former Member

Default Called dealer about a dual battery install...

I installed a warn 12k winch a while back, add to the fact I've always wanted the dual batteries; decided to call about it. The dealer I bought the truck from is getting me a price. I figured if I have them install it, then its on them if it screws something up.

I fully expect to have sticker shock...

Jr. Mechanic

Since the Duramax that came in your pickup as an option has 2 batteries it might not be too big a hassle. If (a mighty big word) the gas engine doesn't have something sitting where the second battery would be in the Duramax. Seems like anytime you are going through a dealer you can expect some sticker shock. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't someone who has been through this already. Good luck.

I may be mistaken, but I think you can buy a dual battery kit at Auto Zone & the like for around $60.00 plus the cost of the second battery. i believe the only other mod would be a higher output alternator, again available @ Auto Zone or Ebay/Amazon etc...
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Former Member

These 2012s have the second battery tray (like previous years) and what not...I believe there is a build code for dual batteries in the 6.0L also (probably another option for the snow plow package?), its a matter of whether you opted for it.

The reason to do a factory install is to avoid any questions about the install down the road. The 2012 has a 160A alternator, so that's not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    The reason to do a factory install is to avoid any questions about the install down the road. The 2012 has a 160A alternator, so that's not a concern.
    Questions from whom? About what? Why do you care if someone asks questions about the installation of dual batteries in your truck?

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Questions from whom? About what? Why do you care if someone asks questions about the installation of dual batteries in your truck?

If the dealer installs it and it burns something up...its on them, not me. For something like this, a few bucks in savings isn't worth the risk of the warranty.