GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Former Member

Default Called dealer about a dual battery install...

I installed a warn 12k winch a while back, add to the fact I've always wanted the dual batteries; decided to call about it. The dealer I bought the truck from is getting me a price. I figured if I have them install it, then its on them if it screws something up.

I fully expect to have sticker shock...

Jr. Mechanic

Since the Duramax that came in your pickup as an option has 2 batteries it might not be too big a hassle. If (a mighty big word) the gas engine doesn't have something sitting where the second battery would be in the Duramax. Seems like anytime you are going through a dealer you can expect some sticker shock. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't someone who has been through this already. Good luck.

I may be mistaken, but I think you can buy a dual battery kit at Auto Zone & the like for around $60.00 plus the cost of the second battery. i believe the only other mod would be a higher output alternator, again available @ Auto Zone or Ebay/Amazon etc...
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Former Member

These 2012s have the second battery tray (like previous years) and what not...I believe there is a build code for dual batteries in the 6.0L also (probably another option for the snow plow package?), its a matter of whether you opted for it.

The reason to do a factory install is to avoid any questions about the install down the road. The 2012 has a 160A alternator, so that's not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    The reason to do a factory install is to avoid any questions about the install down the road. The 2012 has a 160A alternator, so that's not a concern.
    Questions from whom? About what? Why do you care if someone asks questions about the installation of dual batteries in your truck?

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Questions from whom? About what? Why do you care if someone asks questions about the installation of dual batteries in your truck?

If the dealer installs it and it burns something up...its on them, not me. For something like this, a few bucks in savings isn't worth the risk of the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    If the dealer installs it and it burns something up...its on them, not me. For something like this, a few bucks in savings isn't worth the risk of the warranty.
    The liklihood of burning something up is extremely low if you know what you're doing. And by extremely low -- I mean it would only happen out of carelessness.

Frankly, I'd never let the dealer do a dual battery setup for me. I don't like the cable GM uses for its positive and ground connections to the batteries. The strand count is too low, it's highly inflexible, and it's usually 8ga where I prefer 1/0AWG. My winch can demand 300amps very quickly if something gets stuck while winching ... and I want upsized cables to handle it ... as well as 300amp ANL fuses in place in case the load causes even more demand.

The chance of such a draw is very low, as I'm pretty conservative/cautious when winching ... but I build for the worst case scenario so that I can have absolute confidence in my setup. (I even upsized my Warn winch's +12v and common ground cables. )

GM factory wire blows. 8 gauge wire is usually rated around 55-80 amps so half what it needs to be for a truck alt. I recently upgraded my alt and fuse box cables to 1/0 awg and 4 awg respectively. Now the truck's electrical system runs much better and can easily handle extra draw.

Ok now on point, you should upgrade your cables it's worth the money. Also @SurrealOne has an amazing set up so I'd listen to his advice. You may be able to ask the dealer to install better cables that your choose so they know they are there and can't yell at you for warranty issues.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Former Member

Well, the dealer "pieced" a dual battery setup together; complete with a battery tray...which immediately made me wonder if they ever did this before. Basically they were going to install the pieces for a diesel to get the dual batteries. Total cost, north of $1,100.

For that price, it was a no-brainer to DIY. I call the local Deka (East Penn Manufacturing) and talked to them. They not only sell their batteries, they custom make cables. I stopped today, bought an OE-style 648 battery (680 CCA) and two custom length 1ga cables with clamps on one end and eyelets on the other. They also had the OE-style battery hold-down. Total cost with battery (a first grade, not a factory second) was $188. It could have been $125 if I had used a factory second. Brought the stuff home, and really didn't plan to install it tonight; but took about 30 minutes to install. Pictures:

Summit has a kit where you can switch between the batteries so you can isolate either one or self jump start. Nothing wrong with that setup but i would like to disconnect the reserve to prolong the batt life and ease up on the alt when charging both with the other truck acc's ontop.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast