GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2000 Chevy Silverado Turn, running, fog light assembly issue

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab truck...the housing that holds the turn signal, fog light, running lights were filling up with water...had about 2 inches of water in them....I noticed that the running light on the passenger side was burnt out...I went to pull it out and it shattered in my hand...I cant get the rest of it out...How do I fix that? Do I just buy another plug and splice the wires or what? And any idea how the water is getting in and how to fix it? It looks like there is seal/glue holding the clear piece to the gray plastic side...Is that so? can that be fixed or just better to replace the whole thing?

You should be able to get the rest of the lamp out with needle nosed pliers.

Usually the water gets in around the sockets.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    You should be able to get the rest of the lamp out with needle nosed pliers.

Usually the water gets in around the sockets.
    I have tried...its broke all the way to where its basically flat inside the plug and I have nothing to grab with the pliers

What do I need to do to sockets to stop it?
    Last edited by dolphindan1; 05-05-2013 at 07:39 PM.

I had a similar problem with the backup lights on an Envoy. The socket was pushed into the housing and 1/4 turned to lock it into place. The water was coming in around the seal where the gasket went into the housing. I used a little silicone to seal it. I don't suggest this is the fix for all to use, it will glue the socket to the housing and removal is a slow job..........but, it did fix the problem.

Try pouring a little vinegar into the socket, the vinegar may loosen the corrosion that is holding the broken lamp.

Legend

the plastic clear piece and the gray piece sometimes leak at the seam. I use a clear silicone sealant to stop this. seal the entire seam place in a warm spot for 2 hrs. then place the housing in a pail of water to see if the leak is stopped..

the lamp sockets I use silicone GREASE ...THIS PREVENTS ANY ISSUES OF THE SOCKET.

placing the silicone grease on the seal of the lamp housing for the socket also prevents deterioration..
    Last edited by j cat; 05-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.

If you can not get them sealed you could always buy a new set. They run around $40 for the set. You could always check Craigslist in your area. Guys sell them after putting LED models in theirs.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

If its really bugging you i think i have a set if you want them, oem set like $10 plus shipping, pm me if you want ill try to dig um out and get some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Well cant seem to find um with my other truck stuff so if i do ill let you kno. You can get a nice set off ebay pretty cheap just make sure they are DOT approved so they are not total junk.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.