GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you put an oil additive in this engine, ever? Are you running anything but quality synthetic oil? Based on your choice of plugs, headlights, and air filtration, I've taken the next leap. Some sort of additive was put in this engine. Sweep air is not working properly now, you are pressurizing the crankcase, it's likely your rings are not working right. If your catalytic converter has any life left in it, you won't see any smoke. Don't put anything in your engine oil, ever. Don't add junk to your fuel. And do us old guys with bad eyes a favor and take those blinding HID POS's off your truck so we don't drive into a ditch when you aim them at oncoming traffic. Most of the products in your sig are marketing gimmicks. Basically I'm saying, I think you killed it. I pull at Gross -800# with my 5.3 90% of the time. '06 at 183K. You aren't smarter than GM. Leave the poor thing alone. All that aftermarket crap is crap. CJ PS: Am I in the dog house now mods? lol

Well Ceej, not with me. I kind of agree about all the add ons. Also those blinding lights! Maybe we're in the geezer minority on these forums, but I don't do much add on stuff, and surely don't add stuff to me oil!

Panther, I don't know what to tell you, but my opinion is if you otherwise really like this truck, buy a cheap car, fix ye truck! You really do need another vehicle to drive anyway, everybody does. We have 4 - two trucks, two cars! Just me wife and me home now. We could get by with just three, but, hey, a man can never have too many trucks, trailers, nor roofs to put them under! I'm shy of trailers (only have 4 now, but NEED a tandem axle 16') and roofs!

Let us know what you do.
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

Quote Originally Posted by catshot View Post
    I'm suspicious of a bad head gasket(s) letting coolant into the cylinders. I have always thought of oil fouling as leaving dark deposits. Having already done a head job on a 2000 escalade with the 5.7l-v8 I guess I am biased! If you do a cover gasket fix you might want to consider the head to block gaskets as well .. and while you're at it .. valve stem seals!

Thank you Catshot, I am thinking along those lines as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paulannabelle View Post
    Wow, I am sorry to hear that you had that experience with your 2000 Silverado... I had a 2000 LT Extended cab, 2wd, 5.3l and got 12 yrs and 250km out of it... I never had any issue with oil leaking or consumption... I pull a 30' trailer with it to the end... Sold it to a friend who is still driving/loving it...
    Thank you Paul,

I don't do as much towing as I do with loads in the bed of the truck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xrjay7 View Post
    I have same truck 2000 Silverado 2500 LS Ext Cab 2WD 5.3 K&N FIPK. Original motor with 210,000 miles. Its had the piston slap rod knock from day 1 I haven't done as much work to my truck. Mine does leak oil also and I figure I have been hard on this truck with towing and extended full throttle launches. So I own these leaks. I can't say I am burning as much oil as you are though. If you are wondering about buying a newer GM to avoid oil pan leaks; I have a 2005 Suburban with same motor/trans 5.3+4L60E with 170K and less hard miles; that 5.3 has oil pan leaks at the same spot. I am gonna run my Silverado one more year and part it out or sell as whole.
    Thank you Xrjay7, It is good to know it is not just me with these issues, maybe they had a specific run of these engines that had issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Oil leaks got some part in this forsure as others are saying But, don't buy 4 prong bosch plugs next time either. Try the Factory Iridium/AC plug or an autolite/ngk but unless you own a volvo or vw those bosch plugs are pure crap and the multi prong plugs are the worst.

Think about ignition spark and resistance.. There is not gonna be fire on all 4 prongs hardly ever if ever. If so you would have a lowered spark. Take an ohm meter to a set of plugs like that and you will see some legs have less resistance and Thats where they will fire.
    Also platinum plugs foul faster then any other type of plug!

Iridium plugs such as the OE that GM offers are called a 100k mile plug but unless you like stressing other ignition components i would change every 50-60k. Gas burning Trucks wont see much MPG change if any from a budget autolite vers the iridium but my 94 GTP and a couple other cars it was worth 4-6 mph on the hwy. The iridium plugs are a finewire meaning the core coming thru the plug is tiny like a freshly sharpened pencil. Do NOT gap these plugs, if they look bent open or closed ask for another plug because they have been dropped or tinkered with.

My 97 gmc3500 454 has over 250k miles and i run the iridiums in it, i have a GM 502 factory roller cam in it with a Wester's Garage(alberta canada) Brain. Utility bed truck formerly an ole power company truck and i only use Mobile one extended life with a mobile filter. Pulling a 26' enclosed trailer loaded with the racecar and other things this gas hog gets about 9-10 mpg which is only 1-2mpg more without the trailer..

Fixing to rebuild the engine in my 93 gmc z71 which has over 300k miles and still running but i know its getting close so its time to overhaul and add some steroids to this one also...Changes will be better stock 64cc heads,mild cam for torque, flattop hyperutectic pistons(sealed power pistons,coated and much lighter then cast) ,hi-volume oil pump,double roller chain, thin head gasket's plus some machine shop expense on the block and crank and pressing the new pistons on the rods. Expecting about 320-340 hp. and enough torque to make me wanna park the blazer
    Worst part is im also in a boat project. Floor replacement grrrrrrrrr.

Easier and cheaper to keep what you have so long as your ok with how it looks and you take care of it.
    Age to me isn't an issue(older trucks are easier to work on,cheaper to repair and will outlast most of the new stuff anyhow) so long as your able to do the work yourself or know someone who is honest and wont beat you up my options keep em going.

My daily drivers a 92 s10 blazer sport 2-door 2wheel drive. Good plugs, Good mobile oil, Good 100% gas without that 10% junk and what the factory rates at 16mpg hwy is more like 22-24 and i have 150k miles on this one.

The 5.3 gives the Old 5.3 a bad name but can be rebuilt/fixed or replaced with a drop in crate replacement. Scoggins Dickey(gm online performance SDPARTS.com) has many crate options.
    Thank you Homer,

I did go back to the delco irridium plugs this time around, the bosch plugs were also irriduim tipped as well, only difference is the 4 nodes. We will see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer2 View Post
    Wow Mine is not even close to the disappointment the starter thread had. I have 255,000 on my 2000 extended cab 5,3. Does not leak a drop or burn a drop. My brother bought it brand new and used Mobil 1 from day one. I just changed the plugs at 90k on them and they looked fine. The only thing the truck needed so far was a few batteries and removal of the abs modual and solder it myself. Only thing Chevy could have done is engineer the metal / water run off better of the under cariage. My body shows 255k miles for sure. If this truck body ever was totaled I would pull the motor and use it in another for sure!
    Thank you Farmer2, I would expect more from my engine also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Nak,
    You've been talking about getting a new truck for over a year. You've fully admitted over meals and beers you just want a new truck and the problems you have with your current one are making you want a new one even more. I've expressed to you over and over again the cost benefits of sticking with what you have and/or simply adding a second used vehicle so that you can work on one and drive the other without rental fees.

Since I know, firsthand from you, that you don't like those ideas, option three is the option you should pursue. It's the only one that's going to make you happy. So get off your duff and go get what you want. Either that ... or stop hemming and hawing over it and fix what you have! You've been dilly-dallying for too long! (Yes, I know why.)
    Surreal, You know that I have been pricing replacement trucks and that I am leaning on option 3 because it makes the most sense considering I don't keep extra vehicles laying around in my driveway.

I also have no intention of sitting this truck on cinder blocks for 3 months because I don't have the time or engergy to put into rebuilding the engine with my work schedule, so tearing the engine appart and rebuilding it is not cost or time affective in my case, you have more down time than I do to do the work yourself.

You also know that I am potentially moving to 85-90% travel, meaning a new vehicle is just going to be here sitting and I don't want a dead on in the drive way either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    Go get your Unicorn!!
    And a unicorn it will be....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ceej View Post
    Did you put an oil additive in this engine, ever? Are you running anything but quality synthetic oil? Based on your choice of plugs, headlights, and air filtration, I've taken the next leap. Some sort of additive was put in this engine. Sweep air is not working properly now, you are pressurizing the crankcase, it's likely your rings are not working right. If your catalytic converter has any life left in it, you won't see any smoke. Don't put anything in your engine oil, ever. Don't add junk to your fuel. And do us old guys with bad eyes a favor and take those blinding HID POS's off your truck so we don't drive into a ditch when you aim them at oncoming traffic. Most of the products in your sig are marketing gimmicks. Basically I'm saying, I think you killed it. I pull at Gross -800# with my 5.3 90% of the time. '06 at 183K. You aren't smarter than GM. Leave the poor thing alone. All that aftermarket crap is crap. CJ PS: Am I in the dog house now mods? lol
    I have never put any additives in the oil, I use techron or seafoam in the gas tank once or twice a year, I always stick with Castrol, Penzoil or Valvoline 5w-30 and moved to 10w30 and it helped a little, but not much.

Ceej, unfortunately more and more vehicles are coming with HID's on them these days, you should be glad I don't go get some airplane lamps they use for landing aircraft and put them on the roof of the truck.

I get the idea that some of the things might be gimmicks, but this isn''t the 1940's and the majority of people are not driving Ford Model T's around either.

Back then rubber tires or tires with air tubes where gimmicks. Halogen head lights would blind people that had never seen them before. Seat belts were gimmicks until they were mandated and the manufactures did not want to put them in cars.

So when you say some of the things I have done are gimmic's; they may seem like that today, but in 20 years they may be standard like HID's are becoming and if smarter people never came around, we would not have the vehicles we have today.
    Last edited by PantheraUncia; 05-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Sounds like he is complaining and asking for advice he doesn't want to take. If you like the truck and it is otherwise in good shape, pay to have the motor worked on, and rent a vehicle if you won't buy a second one to drive.

I personally would buy the second vehicle. I once had a daily driver that was in the body shop for 3 months, so I bought a second car to drive and ended up continuing to drive that car and used the other one (now with a new paint job) for fun drives.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

... Sorry to have to wave the off-topic sign again, we need to stay on-topic of the truck in this thread. The second conversation about thread readability will be cut out of here and dealt with inside the Announcements & Feedback forum.

@PU - When did you get the truck, what was the history of the truck up to the point in time when you got it? Just curious on that actually and I didn't see it outright stated (maybe I missed it) when I skimmed the thread again.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12