GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Q? About axles

Default Q? About axles

I know that poeple swap out axles from half ton to 3\4 ton but my Q is what's the differs cents in 1986 axles and 1988 axles? If they where both 4wd should've fit then? O I heard that you should put in the abs on a old suburban, is this true? Thanks

I think that gm switched the front axle to IFS in 1988. So, the front axle between the 86 and 88 will be different. That if it is a 1500, I think that they waited until 1992 to go ifs on the 1 ton trucks. Adding ABS would be pretty involved. you would have to add wheel speed sensors, a computer or abs module, and do modifications to the braking system to add the abs "pump"

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Ooo ok good a enough ya me and a friend where talking about this and wanted to see if it was true

Suburbans 1500/2500 and F/S Blazers retained solid axles until 1992.
    92 on up they share IFS with the rest of the truck line.
    So you could source an 88-91 Blazer or Suburban axle to use on an earlier pick-up.
    As far as putting ABS on an older Suburban that would be more of a personal preference unless state inspection requirements made you.
    personally if I was putting a newer axle in an older truck I'd simply leave the ABS system disconnected since chances are the truck didnt have ABS origanally and to retrofit would be more work than I want to do. But I'm not a fan of most ABS systems anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Suburbans 1500/2500 and F/S Blazers retained solid axles until 1992.
    92 on up they share IFS with the rest of the truck line.
    So you could source an 88-91 Blazer or Suburban axle to use on an earlier pick-up.
    As far as putting ABS on an older Suburban that would be more of a personal preference unless state inspection requirements made you.
    personally if I was putting a newer axle in an older truck I'd simply leave the ABS system disconnected since chances are the truck didnt have ABS origanally and to retrofit would be more work than I want to do. But I'm not a fan of most ABS systems anyways.
    Thank you for the correction. I made the mistake and assumed that when the pickups were switched over so were the SUVs

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I think that gm switched the front axle to IFS in 1988. So, the front axle between the 86 and 88 will be different. That if it is a 1500, I think that they waited until 1992 to go ifs on the 1 ton trucks. Adding ABS would be pretty involved. you would have to add wheel speed sensors, a computer or abs module, and do modifications to the braking system to add the abs "pump"
    The 1988 K3500 4x4 had the IFS front end. It was my company pickup...single rear wheel of course.
    2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

Apparently, the place that I got my info from was not all that great. Sorry for giving the incorrect info.

Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    The 1988 K3500 4x4 had the IFS front end. It was my company pickup...single rear wheel of course.
    The 1 ton crew cabs didn't change over to the new body style and IFS until 1992. The crew cab bodies and Suburban bodies share many panels. The reg. cab and newly intro-ed extended cab 1 tons used the new body style and ifs from 1988 on.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.