GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Yes, these tires are only sold at Walmart, no where else. That's why I was questioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
    Yes, these tires are only sold at Walmart, no where else. That's why I was questioning it.
    I'd pass.

Do you have a Discount Tire near you? They match prices and have a huge selection.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Yes, I will pass. There is one an hour away, but my local tire shop has the top 3 tires that I'm looking at, priced pretty well with rebates on top of that. I've narrowed it down to the BFG's, Cooper at3, or duratecs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
    That means the vendor wanted Walmart to carry their tires and Walmart laid in some conditions ... and the vendor produced something to meet them. Price is usually the sticky point ... and for tires that means material and/or production costs have likely been lowered, somehow. The usual tradeoff that comes with lower material and production costs is ... quality control ... specifically less of it.

I'd pass.

My Coopers on my truck and my Altima are American company and American made. I was going to put coopers on my wifes new Avalon but the Zeon's (the RS3-A) are made in china. Emailed them to find out as I was sold on those tires until I heard somewhere they were made in China. I did go Michelin but the tires (the specific ones I got) are made here in the US. Like @McClintoc I am on a "try" not to buy chinese stuff if I can.

And again I do agree on the points you make on things specifically made for Walmart (or any place for that matter), but more saying that real research needs to be done and not just a blanket "its from walmart so its crap". I wasnt necessarily defending those tires either as if I remember right (from the old post on them) they are made to lesser specs than the dura-tracs, but whether or not that makes them crappy tires I really dont know. Is your car going to blow up in 1000 miles because of them I doubt it as they do still carry the goodyear name and a company doesnt want a bunch of bad publicity when most people will see the name and thats it if something was really wrong.

One thing I do like about discount/americas tire co (I have used them for the last 12 years or so) is that on passenger tires they rate good/better/best and then explain how they come to the rating, and its solely on the construction of the tire (not weather the tire actually sucks or not), from their research is required on the specific brands/models. I am one who spends completely too much time when it comes to researching things like tires and other things before purchasing for my car.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I am one who spends completely too much time when it comes to researching things like tires and other things before purchasing for my car.
    Me, too. The only thing that helps shorten my time spent on it is opinions from others I trust...

I wil not support the decay of the small business... WalMart!! Many a company has gone out of business because they wouldn't fold to the WalMart pressure.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Heh, I have Nittos -- i.e. I went Japanese. I'd also consider Kumho's politically sound choices, as the South Koreans have been allies for longer than I've been alive, and tend to sit on our side of the table. If there had been an American-made equivalent of the Trail Grapplers that's what I'd be riding on ... but there wasn't.
    And I refuse to buy GM for not paying back the tax payers after the bailout. We all have our beliefs and loyalties.
    2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    And I refuse to buy GM for not paying back the tax payers after the bailout. We all have our beliefs and loyalties.
    That's why you NEED to buy GM ... so you, the taxpayer, can pay yourself back!

I have used BFG All Terrain Radials for the last 20+ years and got great mileage out of them. They are the best all around on and off road tire I have ever used and outside of they do get tired of being pounded at 70+ mph if you don't commute in your truck like I used to they will serve you well. I did run a set of Bridgestone Desert Duelers, but they did not last as well and were not as good off highway as the BFG's. Just my .02.
    Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.