GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    I ordered the G80 for a new 2010 GMC AWD Savana with 3.73 gears. I will give it a thorough test when the vehicle gets here. Ordered 1/20/2010 so I have a few more weeks to go. I have to call the dealership on fri to see if it has gone into production yet and when a delivery date will be. I have been reading alot about the G80. And talking to service managers and mechanics at dealerships and I have gotten nothing but good reports. I was trying to decide if i wanted to order it. Service mngr I asked if I should get it says he hasn't seen problems with it at all. It appears from the youtube videos that it works quite well. It also appears it doesn't engage often or easily. You really have to have one wheel spinning. It definitely disengages once the vehicle is moving and is off/unlocked around 25mph.
    Whoo! Ford one wheel wonder of the world!!! haha jk.
    But my locker is SUPER SENSITIVE. I actually had a situation one time that could have been very bad as a result of the differential locking prematurely. I was waiting to turn left at a traffic light (in the rain). As I began to accelerate one tire slipped when crossing the white paint line on the road. I began the slow turn (differential LOCKED still) and I began to slide until i let off and it suddenly released. This was at slow speed too. Luckily I was on the outside left turn lane or I would've taken out the car next to me.

So it can be a double edged sword. I find the locker makes 2WD's extremely capable offroad. Plus you won't get stuck in someone's swail after a little rain...

Nice Post. Thanks for the demo.
    Morgan
    2010 Silverado Ext. Cab LTZ 2 WD 6 ft bed
    5.3L 6 speed w\ 3.08 rear end
    Navigation Package
    Westin lighted boards
    Undercover SE tonneau cover
    It's a start!

Blog Entries

My G80 blew up to, see my pics to see what I replaced it with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rear end.jpg  
    "If I were lie'n I'd be cry'n and I aint shed a tear"

Thanks for the video. Good information

Thanks for the video. I was forced to go out in the rain to check my codes...got a G80. Now I just need to find a place to do those tests.

Blog Entries

i had the gt4 and it blew after two weeks with the 35's i here the that 456 is recomended for 35's is that right. im also going with a Detroit Truetrac. any thoughts

Default G80

If you have a 10 bolt it will not hold up with 35's for very long. The maximum tire size recommended for a 10 bolt is 32 or 33's. I would suggest installing a semi-float 14 bolt and going with either a Lock Right or Eaton limited slip. The 14 bolt will handle the 35's easily.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    If you have a 10 bolt it will not hold up with 35's for very long. The maximum tire size recommended for a 10 bolt is 32 or 33's. I would suggest installing a semi-float 14 bolt and going with either a Lock Right or Eaton limited slip. The 14 bolt will handle the 35's easily.

yup its a 10 and well my uncle ended getting me the Detroit Truetrac 456 so i guess ill have to look into the 14 bolt. do you have any idea of where i could find one. and how would that work with the 4x4. is it just changing out the rear and. o and it the 456 still a good choice.

my 02 has the g80 it does a awsome job in the mud.

Jr. Apprentice

my g80 blew to pieces in my 02 sierra taking off from a stop light. not that the burnouts i did had any affect on it but the detroit truetrac that i replaced it with was a dream. best upgrade i ever did to that truck, i never needed 4wd after that accept for control in the snow. id recomend that rear end to anybody who actually drives their truck like they should, things bulletproof.