GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 Last Post byLast Post by
    Blog Entries

Hah, I love the title to this thread.
    Clint
    Rockwall, Texas

2008 Suburban 4WD BEAST! plus a couple of other Chevy rides!

I've got the G80 in my 08 silverado and at just shy of 23,000 miles, it took a crap on me. Went around a few turns and clunk bang, bing, crunch, squeal... drove fine straight but it felt like the back end was going to fall apart making a turn at speeds above 2 mph. Had it towed to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the problem. They drove it for 25 miles and got nothing abnormal out of it. Good news is now though, the passanger airbag won't deploy without a passenger in the seat.
    2008 Silverado LT 4.8L V8, 1.5" leveling kit, procomp 18" wheels w/ Nitto terra grappler tires, Magnaflow exhaust, drop-in K&N air filter, Line-X spray on bedliner.

My 2004 Z-71 has the G80, and 3.73's. Makes for a good combo.

Sr. Apprentice

my 03 silverado z71 has the G80(i use to work at a dealership and got a list of all my codes and options on my truck) but i still only get power to the right wheel(1 wheel wonder). anything come to mind that would cause this? im guessing it needs overhauled sinse i have over 231,000 miles on it.
    03 Z71
    flat black toolbox
    black bowtie
    Spectra CAI
    DiabloSport Predator
    si/do CherryBomb Vortex muffler
    2.5" SS Magnaflow tailpipes
    4" black exhaust tips
    headlight mod - low beam, high/low beam

Since there is a "fly-weight" that has to sense the speed diff to force the traction lock, it is probably difficult to determine externally and on jacks if it failed. I would drain/remove the diff cover, and look for a ton of broken gear teeth before you get involved with a rebuild shop. I opted to replace mine years ago with a worm drive, as reported here in earlier posts, and it is still going strong in my Duramax

my sierra has this, wereas my 03 silverado did not. explains why i cant ever get a wheel to break loose when i pore on the gas.

thanks for the info.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Blog Entries

how hard is it to install a g80, obviously there will be some nasty fluid in there but do you need special tools?

2000 Silverado, 4.8L, LS
    3" Dynomax cat back exhaust
    Drop-in K&N air filter
    200 amp Nations alternator
    KYB GR2 Shocks
    Bluetooth OBD2 adapter with Torque App on Samsung Note 2
    Custom Stereo System l Pioneer/ Boss door Speakers l 1200 watt Performance Teknique amp l 1 farad capacitor l 2 12" kicker comp subwoofers
    Slider rear window l Locking tailgate, de-baged l 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires l Fully synthetic oil l Tinted windows
    4l65e upgrades - five pinion planetaries l HD sun shell l high performance band

Here is my question, I have a 2008 1500 silverado with a 4.8 liter engine. Do I have this G80 rear end?
    Dave V. -- Riverside, California
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

how hard is it to install a g80, obviously there will be some nasty fluid in there but do you need special tools?
    Basically, installation means rebuilding the rear end. The hardest part is setting up the ring and pinion, making sure the backlash and wear pattern are correct. If you are familiar with this process, it shouldn't be a big deal. However, setting up gears requires some pretty careful measurements with tight tolerances, so it usually isn't recommended for the uninitiated.

Do I have this G80 rear end?
    Quickest way to find out is look at your RPO code list in the glove box for the G80 code. If you see the G80 code, then the G80 was installed at the factory. If not, it probably isn't there (unless someone has put it in after the fact).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

My spider gears in my G80 ripped apart. funny thing is even after that the left wheel still pulled.

1988 Chevy Step Side
    .060 over bored 350 4 bolt main block, ZZ4 GMPP heads, SpeedPro pistons, Total seal TS1 gapless rings, Crane roller cam, 10.75:1 compression, Offenhauser cross ram intake, Two 350 TBI units, Walbro 255Lph pump, FJO injector driver, AeroMotive bypass regulator, Proform Roller lifters, Dynamic EFI flash ECM upgrade, Custom serpentine accessory drive, Melling high pressure High volume pump, Scat crank and rods, ceramic Headers, 3" pipes with flowmasters, MSD.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 Last Post byLast Post by