GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

you really wont notice much unless you are coming from the 4.3 v6 with 3.43 gears like me lol i upgraded to 4.10s and am theoretically left with a little bit more power than stock according to my tire size to gear ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by wmkess View Post
    Ah, I totally forgot to consider the extra weight that comes with larger tires! Were the wheels also bulkier as well? I plan to keep my factory wheels.
    I hear this all the time when people talk about getting bigger tires and wheels. more than likely 99% of people getting aftermarket tires and wheels will be getting aluminum wheels which is always significantly lighter than the factory steel wheels, regardless, the only thing thats going to affect your mpg is tire size AND tire width...

weight of a tire??? unless each tire is about 200 pounds heavier than you will never notice a single difference simply because of the weight of the tire...

thats like saying you lose 2 mpg just because you have a person in the passenger seat...

a simple 10-15 pounds extra to each tire on a truck is like adding a tank top on your body, it aint gonna change anything about your power...
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the more you increase the height the more the MPG drops. the bigger and heavier the tire the load increases and MPG drops.

a tire with low rolling resistance will increase the MPG. AT tires you get better traction but loose some MPG when compared to the passenger tires that have the low rolling resistance , but you loose traction in difficult road conditions.

with the AT tires I have I have never had any problems in the snow . I know if I switch to the low profile low rolling resistance tires I could get a little more MPG but I got a truck to get me to work in the snow so the AT tires will stay . depends what your looking for in performance with a truck .
    agreed as there is alot that goes into it.

Using my truck as an example I went from 3.73 (31" tires) to 4.10 (35" tires) when I lifted it. I did the 4.10 (which is taller than a stock effective gear ratio) because the truck was my daily driver and mostly highway mileage. The 4.10 kept the rpms low on the highway and I actually lost no mpg after lifting (an oh so awesome 12mpg). In all honesty if I were to do more towing or lived in an area in the mountains again the 4.56 would be a much better option for me. Now to the tires part. My stock wheels were actually very light and I used those for a while with the 35" tires (and they were all terrain tires). I later switched rims and tires (still 315/75/16), once again rims were not very heavy but I went to a hybrid AT/MT tire and I lost about 1 mpg with that change. I only had highway tires in the stock form for 10 days (truck was then stolen and when I got it back I put all terrain tires on it as the smugglers put a beat up set of off road tires on it), and with the 1 or 2 tanks of gas on those I had maybe a 1-2 mpg increase over the all terrains. Unfortunately lots of factors go into mpg like the 10% ethanol in gas or the summer and winter blends here in CA.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12