GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default GM Begins To Talk About Its New Mid-Sized Trucks

GM Begins To Talk About Its New Mid-Sized Trucks

According to Mark Reuss, GM North America president, the company is considering names for it's new mid-size pickup truck. The company will be replacing the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon and is aimed at taking away buyers from Toyota. GM also plans to attack the west coast with a "Fun" package that the company thinks those buyers will really like. According to a report in the Detroit Free Press, GM is looking for these trucks to be "lifestyle" oriented and are reported to go on sale next year, with new introductions slated late in 2013.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Looks like a Malibu on truck tires.

As much as I like Chevys, I think Ford has the right idea here. They stopped making the Ranger with the EcoBoost F-150 on the market. The kind of people that wanted a cheap truck were shying away from the Ranger and buying entry-level F-150s with the EcoBoost. The entery-level F-150s (regular cab, 6' bed, EcoBoost V-6, not a lot of bells and whistles) still have more room, more power and more towing capacity than most Rangers and were still cheaper so Ford saw Ranger sales dropping.

Part of me says Chevy should take the same approach but the other part of me says Chevy doesn't need to be mirroring everything Ford does. Since Ford no longer has a mid-sized truck and Chevy will, maybe it will work out for them.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    Looks like a Malibu on truck tires.
    I agree! That or an HHR with a avalanche rear end. I don't like the way it looks in the pic. But, seeing it in person may change my opinion. It does not matter what I think anyway, I am not the target audience on this one.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'm honestly glad with this approach! Before I picked up my current Sierra, I debated getting a Colorado or Canyon. My problem was that even on the higher end 1/4 tons from GM, they were still Spartan when compared to the Toyota Tacoma. Considering my truck had to be a daily driver along with a cross country hauler, this was an important issue for me. Seeing GM finally changing things up to go after this market is welcoming. One of the advantages to the 1/4's that we were considering for my wife's next vehicle was that they are smaller than the 1/2 tons which she is apprehensive about driving. This would have been a perfect stepping stone for her! ANYways, that's my two cents!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Jr. Apprentice

Traded my Colorado W/T for a '12 Avalanche my wife's Trailblazer for a '13 Avalanche.....the Colorado never was much good for hauling large items, poor to mediocre ride, underpowered when loaded and only 2-1/2 adults wide. ...I have no intention of ever going backward ........this is like putting lipstick on a pig...Chevy discontinued the Avalanche this year......figured that Chevy was going to downsize a good thing and this glitzed up Colorado looks like the first step toward bringing it back in a few years as the rumored 2016 Avalanche. Chevy tried this once before with their mini 2 door Blazer which looked like an SUV but quacked like a duckling......didn't work out too well and they had to upsize to the Trailblazer. Room, ride, and power means a wide truck, long wheelbase and a mid size or better V8.

Can't imagine what type of young lifestyle this fits????...............Small bed, narrow cabin, small roof, two door access, no room for an amp and two 16" speakers....young'uns want SUVs, not something labeled as a "truck" or a "minivan" no matter what it looks like and those that do want a truck buy something that is big and can be used as a truck, and not a small, city package hauler....might be good for young'uns who never buy groceries or ever expect to contend with childseats or portly parents, or who transport their surfboards, skis or bicycles via UPS.........if sold cheap enough it could outsell the Volt, which failed to draw hoards of young life stylers from Toyota, in fact Toyota increased it's Prius line while GM is trying to dump their Volts on the Government.

Appears to be another poor attempt to increase fleet mileage at the expense of larger practical vehicles....this strategy has been tried many times before and it doesn't work....Vega, Citation, Lumina, HHR, and others sent to an early grave.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by thomcat View Post
    Traded my Colorado W/T for a '12 Avalanche my wife's Trailblazer for a '13 Avalanche.....the Colorado never was much good for hauling large items, poor to mediocre ride, underpowered when loaded and only 2-1/2 adults wide. ...I have no intention of ever going backward ........this is like putting lipstick on a pig...Chevy discontinued the Avalanche this year......figured that Chevy was going to downsize a good thing and this glitzed up Colorado looks like the first step toward bringing it back in a few years as the rumored 2016 Avalanche. Chevy tried this once before with their mini 2 door Blazer which looked like an SUV but quacked like a duckling......didn't work out too well and they had to upsize to the Trailblazer. Room, ride, and power means a wide truck, long wheelbase and a mid size or better V8.

Can't imagine what type of young lifestyle this fits????...............Small bed, narrow cabin, small roof, two door access, no room for an amp and two 16" speakers....young'uns want SUVs, not something labeled as a "truck" or a "minivan" no matter what it looks like and those that do want a truck buy something that is big and can be used as a truck, and not a small, city package hauler....might be good for young'uns who never buy groceries or ever expect to contend with childseats or portly parents, or who transport their surfboards, skis or bicycles via UPS.........if sold cheap enough it could outsell the Volt, which failed to draw hoards of young life stylers from Toyota, in fact Toyota increased it's Prius line while GM is trying to dump their Volts on the Government.

Appears to be another poor attempt to increase fleet mileage at the expense of larger practical vehicles....this strategy has been tried many times before and it doesn't work....Vega, Citation, Lumina, HHR, and others sent to an early grave.

Well Glad to see you like your Avalanche..

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Well Glad to see you like your Avalanche..
    We don't like our Avalanches.....we LOVE them, and I have for years... it wasn't a direct trade from the '06 Colorado to a '12 Avy.....my '06 Colorado after 10 long months was traded in late '06 for a new '07 Avalanche LT3. That's when I fell in love with the Avalanche, which after 5 great years of good looks, comfort, power, practicality and reliability was traded for the '12 LTZ. When I got the fully loaded '12 with the Nav, 6 speed, etc. I never got to use it......the wife always grabbed the keys because she preferred it over the 4 spd Trailblazer....probably because she likes to order the Avy around using the voice commands....... so I traded it for a fully loaded '13 Fairway Z71 with Nav just for me and now I keep both sets of keys!

Legend

Very nice.. Just Sucks that GM stopped it for now... I like my 08 but liked my 02 better...

Legend
    Blog Entries

I'm probably going to buy a new Colorado when they do come out, I think it's ugly in that color or even the silver they show it in. But once you see it in the other color choices, blue, red, green, etc. I bet you'll like it better.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Whatever GM comes up with, they need to offer it with a manual transmission. Even Toyota (who offers fewer manuals than anyone else out there) offers a 4x4 manual version of the Tacoma even now. Nissan does as well (actually Nissan offers a 4x4 manual Xterra as well). I'll be honest, from what I've seen so far, I don't expect much from this new mid-sized GM. So when it does come time to get a mid-sized 4x4 to hunt with, I will probably buy a Nissan. As much as I've liked my Chevys over the years, the Frontier and Xterra both have exactly what I want in my next hunting truck (just not sure if I want a truck bed or not) and they're not overpriced like the Toyotas are.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."