GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default this is a starter problem, right?

hot day in stop and go traffic i stall my truck X(
    no big deal, ill restart it.... wont start... no click just a voltage drop when i turn the key...
    i roll start the truck on the freeway.... scketchy as ****!
    i get home, shut it off, it starts 3 times in a row no issue....

the solenoid got hot and locked up due to age and wear right? does this sound like anything else i should inspect/ replace based on what youve seen in your trucks?

thanks!
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

could also be a bad connection or bad relay

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

yeah it seemed like the NSS wasnt connected when this was happening. I stomped the clutch but nothing helped.
    ill need to locate the relays with the chilton book...

Oh, I did not realize that it was a manual trans. It could also be the sensor that tells if the clutch pedal is depressed. Being intermittent like that is going to make it hard to diagnose.

It might also be a heat problem. The 350, and other GM engines have the starter mounted close to the engine and, also close to the exhaust.
    The starters will heat to the point, that they will not spin. The GM fix was to add a heat shield, perhaps your shield is missing.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

yeah, thats why i like the manual. its just the ECU and the ABS. less electronics to talk to one another, less chance of intermitant problems.
    ill have the store bench test the old one but for now... im gonna hope it was just a heat issue.
    this truck actually has a little heat shield on the starter solenoid right now. its cute.... clearly dosent work very well... lol
    but yeah, its right under the exhanst manifold.