GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2002 2500 GMC knock sensor

How hard is it to change a knock sensor on my truck. What do i need to do to remove it? It is sensor #1 bank1. Thank you for any info.

Legend

what is the failure code ? what is the issue ?

Sr. Mechanic

Um not sure your code but I had a scan done on mine and the guy at the shop said the intake manifold had to come off. Don't quote me I didn't get around doing it because after about 2 weeks there wasn't a code being thrown anymore.
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT 6.0L 4x4
    UWS Low Profile toolbox 10% tint front and over stock back tint
    AirAid MIT and K&N airfilter
    BlackBear Performance

I dont remember off the top of my head, but it said sensor 1 bank 1 low voltage. i clear the code and it comes right back on.

Prob the harness or the tube got water in it and killed the sensor. On all the v8's its in the valley pan below the intake. Dry intake so easy job as long as you unbolt or pinch off the throttle body coolant lines. Pop the intake off and they sit right below in the valley, replace the harness and sensors, silicone the boots that seal the tubes so crap doesnt get in again and put the intake back on. Buy new gaskets for the intake and tb, valve covers and coils stay on so it nice easy.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Thank you for all the info. This forum rocks. Glad I found it.

Legend

get the DTC again and post here what it is . bank and sensor tells me this is the O2 sensor not a knock sensor.

bank one , sensor one is driverside upstream cat converter O2 sensor. replace both upstream sensors.

There are 2 sensors front and back and some scanners may decode it as banks. Common prob and not too expensive to fix.

Yeah, i havent had a chance to get the code again yet, but it did say low voltage on knock sensor 1 bank 1.
    Thanks for all the help. I wont be able to work on the truck for about 8 weeks right now due to surgery on wrist but i will let you guys know how it worked out when I can get to it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RAV52202 View Post
    Yeah, i havent had a chance to get the code again yet, but it did say low voltage on knock sensor 1 bank 1.
    Thanks for all the help. I wont be able to work on the truck for about 8 weeks right now due to surgery on wrist but i will let you guys know how it worked out when I can get to it.
    KS DTC would be circuit 1 or 2 . the dtc would be 327 / 332 .. 1 is front 2 is rear .

the O2 sensor would be bank 1 sensor 1 low voltage DTC 131 .