GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Blinking "BRAKE" light

For about a week now my parking brake light is blinking while driving down the street. I would like some suggestions so I can start troubleshooting. Truck is rolling fine in neutral.

What year and model truck? I would check to make sure that you did not accidentally push the parking brake pedal down a little, it happens all the time. Pull the release handle and lift the pedal with your hand. Also, check your fluid level in your master cylinder

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I have an 85 K10 Silverado. The master cylinder is full. Im going to check the parking brake adjustment to see if anything helps. The line seems very corroded and possibly replacing. I have to get into the rear brakes anyways to inspect for wear

Based on my knowledge of the brake warning system, there are two or three conditions that can trigger the light to come on. You have covered one possibility: low fluid. Other possible reasons are either defective or mis-adjusted switches/sensors. You have a switch that mechanically detects the position of the e-brake lever. I believe there is also a sensor that is tied into the brake lines looking for incorrect pressure differentials between the front and rear circuits. One way to troubleshoot is to remove each switch from the system, one at a time - this will help you isolate the problem. You might try bleeding the brakes. As for the e-brake cable corrosion, this is not likely the source of the problem, however if it appears worn or frayed you may want to replace it for peace of mind. Let us know how things work out.