GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I too have this noise on my high mileage 4.8. Thanks for all of the great comments. I am skeptical about using additives, but I have heard good things about Seafoam. This may be in the works soon for me.
    If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.--Henry Ford

I have a 2002 2500 with 166,000 miles on it. I added a can of sea foam to the fuel tank. I could notice the closer I got home the better the truck was running. about a 25 mile ride. I would recommend sea foam to people. At least as a fuel additive. I haven't decided if I would add it to my oil before I change it.

Quote Originally Posted by PantheraUncia View Post
    I want to officially welcome you to the "High Mileage 5.3L owners club". The lifters are cheap and horrid and have an issue sticking, and unfortunately, at some point oil issues will start showing up.

In your case, you may just pull the engine and rebuild it with the "right" parts and not the parts GM put in it from the factory.
    Yes, welcome to the club! My 155K mile 5.3L 2001 Tahoe has what I lovingly refer to as a "lifter knock." No harm just annoying. Dealer told me to run heavier weight oil but it made zero difference. No repair needed, know you aren't alone.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Vanessa (Fife, WA)
    2007 4x4 Silverado LT
    6" Superlift / Leveling Kit / Superchip
    MBRP Cat Back Performance Exhaust
    35" Tires / 19" Wheels / Smittybilt Nerfs
    Custom 2 Tone Leather Interior

1978 3/4 Ton K5 Blazer Monster Truck
    8" suspension lift, 3" body lift
    44" tires, 16.5" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RAV52202 View Post
    I have a 2002 2500 with 166,000 miles on it. I added a can of sea foam to the fuel tank. I could notice the closer I got home the better the truck was running. about a 25 mile ride. I would recommend sea foam to people. At least as a fuel additive. I haven't decided if I would add it to my oil before I change it.
    I go between Sea Foam and Techron, I actually like the Techron better and buy it when they have it buy one get one free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I recently noticed a LOUD cold start knock that my truck appears to have developed. It only happens after the truck's sat overnight or without being run for a while. It's loud enough to have given me pause ... but it's gone in 20-30 seconds as oil gets to moving around and the vehicle commences its warm-up.

Doing some reading, online, it appears that this is 'normal' for 5.3L Vortecs ... and that it isn't harmful. I'd like some confirmation of that from sources I trust, hence this post.

I've also read that Seafoam may help. Now, I've never been a believer that dumping some brand of snake oil into the tank can help, but I've read enough about Seafoam to know some, here, have used it and claimed positive results. Do folks, here, think it'll make a difference? If so, what's the best way to use it for this issue?

I've read about people dumping it in the tank, about them using a vacuum line to get it into the engine, about putting it in the oil ... I'm just not sure what the best way to 'feed' it to the engine might be for this issue -- if it's even worth doing.

Opinions from those with this issue and/or Seafoam wanted. (Others considered, as well!)

-- Surreal

P.S. @RayVoy and @Pikey I'm particularly interested in your input as to what I should do and how I should go about it.
    When I had my 1998 Chevrolet W/T with the 4.3L engine, I would get a little knocking noise upon start up. This occurred when it was new.

After talking with a few mechanics, it was not the oil pump as the oil pressure was fine. It turned out to be the oil filter. I was using an aftermarket oil filter, I think it was Deutsch or some kind of Champ filter.

To make a long story short, I switched to an AC Delco oil filter and the ticking went away.

Ever since then, I ONLY use OEM oil filters. Even when I had as Explorer, I used a Motorcraft oil filter. Seeing as the AC Delco oil filters are no more expensive than aftermarket oil filters, why not stick with OEM?

For your truck the filter is an AC Delco PF-46, make sure and avoid the E-core PF-46E.

I would also recommend using Mobil 1 5W-30.

As far as knocking is "normal" for Vortec 5.3L engines, that's a load of manure.

Dumping some snake oil into the gas tank is not going to cure any problem except maybe cleaning the fuel injectors.

A buddy of mine has a 2004 similar to your truck with ~185K on it and he said he's never had an issue with the engine knocking, and trust me he's not easy on his truck by any stretch.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    When I had my 1998 Chevrolet W/T with the 4.3L engine, I would get a little knocking noise upon start up. This occurred when it was new.

After talking with a few mechanics, it was not the oil pump as the oil pressure was fine. It turned out to be the oil filter. I was using an aftermarket oil filter, I think it was Deutsch or some kind of Champ filter.

To make a long story short, I switched to an AC Delco oil filter and the ticking went away.

Ever since then, I ONLY use OEM oil filters. Even when I had as Explorer, I used a Motorcraft oil filter. Seeing as the AC Delco oil filters are no more expensive than aftermarket oil filters, why not stick with OEM?

For your truck the filter is an AC Delco PF-46, make sure and avoid the E-core PF-46E.

As far as knocking is "normal" for Vortec 5.3L engines, that's a load of manure.

Dumping some snake oil into the gas tank is not going to cure any problem except maybe cleaning the fuel injectors.

A buddy of mine has a 2004 similar to your truck with ~185K on it and he said he's never had an issue with the engine knocking, and trust me he's not easy on his truck by any stretch.
    Thanks, that's good info!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post

the engine knock when cold and under load the first few minutes of starting the vehicle , is for some normal. this is because GM screwed up on the piston size/bore size. some engines needed to be worked because it would not go away even when warm. the under sized pistons would heat up expand and the knock would stop on most ,,,, but not all. the dealership then told many THIS IS NORMAL !

IF on starting the engine and at idle in park the engine knocks ,,, then that is not a good sign ...

adding techron or marvel mystery oil to the fuel cleans the injectors and reduces carbon in the combustion chamber especially if the injectors are not working correctly . this is used to reduce the knock that GM says increases this noise problem.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the engine knock when cold and under load the first few minutes of starting the vehicle , is for some normal. this is because GM screwed up on the piston size/bore size. some engines needed to be worked because it would not go away even when warm. the under sized pistons would heat up expand and the knock would stop on most ,,,, but not all. the dealership then told many THIS IS NORMAL !

IF on starting the engine and at idle in park the engine knocks ,,, then that is not a good sign ...

adding techron or marvel mystery oil to the fuel cleans the injectors and reduces carbon in the combustion chamber especially if the injectors are not working correctly . this is used to reduce the knock that GM says increases this noise problem.
    Thing is @SurrealOne has a truck with over 100K miles, and this is just now showing up?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by PantheraUncia View Post
    I go between Sea Foam and Techron, I actually like the Techron better and buy it when they have it buy one get one free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron
    So Were can I find this Techron?

My 2010 started to have a Lifter knock! Under warranty and the Dealer replaced all lifters. No more dry starts for me! According to shop manager (a friend of mine), this is common with the 5.3's. If you are having a deeper knock, a rod bearing replacement may be required! No rebuild, easy to do. I do them @ work quiet often on Cat Diesel engines.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast