GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Like i said i see trucks with over 200k miles on them knocking every cold startup. Mine does it when its around 40 degrees and gets worse the colder it gets but it doesnt worry me, i just let it warm up a few and no problems. Dont lets these guys freak you out its is common and it will take a long time before any real damage will happen. Listen to the ford triton engines if you want to feel better they still knock after being earmed up especially if they have cam phasers.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Sur, thats an old myth that synthetic will cause leaks. Not so. I've researched this topic a LOT, and I now use full synthetics in all my engines, '93 Dakota, etc., uses nary a bit of oil. I'd change to synthetic.
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GuyGene View Post
    Sur, thats an old myth that synthetic will cause leaks. Not so. I've researched this topic a LOT, and I now use full synthetics in all my engines, '93 Dakota, etc., uses nary a bit of oil. I'd change to synthetic.
    I'm curious -- go synthetic blend for 1 oil change and then full synthetic, after that ... or just go straight from dino oil to synth oil?

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

The old myth "bad to switch to syn on old motors with lots of miles-leaks etc"
    Started with a grain of truth in the late `1970's with one of the 1st synthetics
    Arco Graphite or Arco Graftex(forget the actual name"
    It was an EXTREMELY thin base synthetic with graphite suspended in it.
    Back then seals gaskets weren't as good-plenty were probably cork and cardboard or rubberized cardboard cork
    And this new oil was THIN.
    When this oil-even a little of it-slipped past a gasket-it PAINTED the engine carport garage floor-
    EVERYTHING got crapped up with this jet black crap.
    Ever since then-the myth "don't use Syn on old motors" has been repeated.
    Well-this is my guess on how the myth started-
    had a buddy-put it in his XS500 Yamaha MOTORCYCLE- outside motor looked HORRIBLE-so did his pants etc.
    I also used it-it was good oil.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I'm curious -- go synthetic blend for 1 oil change and then full synthetic, after that ... or just go straight from dino oil to synth oil?
    Which ever you feel more comfortable with. I say go blend first because if there is a gasket somewhere that has a slight problem that you can't tell currently the blend wont totally go past the gasket but it will make it look wet. This way you can take care of any questionable gaskets before full syn.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I've gone straight to full synthetics on all mine, nary a problem with seals, and like I said, using it in my oldest, '93 Dakota. This is not just anecdotal, much research into my decision. Use synthetic.
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345